P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 09:14:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Three of my P-40 models  (Read 10264 times)
Vince_M

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »

Here is a photo of the 1/48 P-40E by Otaki I built back in '87.
It has a reshaped spinner and prop blades from a Monogram P-38!

This is the little 1/72 P-40N from Hasegawa (a really nice kit).
I carved the spoked wheel covers myself.  Now my eyes are getting bad so that was definitely for the younger me!

Another 1/72 Hasegawa, this time P-40E.  I made the exhausts myself and vacuformed the canopy too.
There is a tiny brake line made of monofilament thread too.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:57:55 PM by Vince_M » Logged
Texas

The Old Guy

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:08:56 PM »

Those are some fine looking models. Thanks for sharing and I know what your talking about the eyes as I had to give up the 1/72 scale models.

Texas
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 09:42:41 AM »

Three very nice models!  I especially like the job you did on the wheel covers for the 72nd scale Hasegawa P-40N.  The kit ones, as they come out of the box, are my only real gripe about the kit, since they are inaccurate for most N models.  I had planned on replacing them with ones from a P-51 model but had never thought of carving them out like you did.  Great idea!

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 12:36:58 AM »

Thanks much, guys.

Yeah, on the P-40N I took a hole punch to some very thin sheet styrene.  It was just blind luck that a hole puncher for paper happens to be the perfect size for a P-40 wheel cover in 1/72 scale!!!!  Then I used a hobby knife to carve the spokes.  Actually, there are some aftermarket resin wheels available now.  I also had to widen the wheels because the Hasegawa ones are too skinny.

An interesting note about the P-40E at the bottom, Creswell's plane.  I found out that the nice four flag nose art is only on the port side of his plane and there was some other flag on the starboard side which you see in the photo above with the four flags.  The Microscale decal sheet got it wrong and I found out like 15 years later.  Oh well, it's still a nice looking P-40E in that British dark earth and green.

modelmaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 03:25:43 PM »

Vince thats a great model of Cresswells mount A29-113 , we've just finished excavating the exact crash site where this plane came to grief it finished it's service life here in Mildura crashing due to an electrical fire June 1943 at RAAF Number 2 Operational Training Unit.

Sean 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: