P-40 Warhawk Forums
April 24, 2024, 05:49:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: P-40E-1/Kittyhawk IA Curtiss Camouflage  (Read 9932 times)
Andreas

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2009, 09:11:55 PM »

Dear All,

I`m confused about camouflage applied by Curtiss on P-40E:
Several publications indicating that all 1500 built P-40E-1 are indentical to Kittyhawks IA (under LendLease). As to Dana Bell`s research, ALL those P-40E-1/Kittyhawk IA were delivered by Curtiss in British Standard Colours; but obviously there were some P-40E-1 in USAAF colours painted Olive drab/Neutral grey?! But its very unlikely that those aircraft have been repainted in the field...
Has anybody more information about this issue?
Any help/comments are highly appreciated!

Cheers
Andreas
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:39:09 PM »

Hi Andreas,

I believe the "P-40E" was produced for the Army Air Corp and thus was at least initially painted the standard OD/NG prevalent at the time, whereas as you mention the "P-40E-1" is identical to the Kittyhawk IA and thus came from the Curtiss factory in the standard British camo colours.  I'm guessing that any definite P-40E-1 that is OD/NG would have been repainted in the field. 

Sorry, it sounds like I'm repeating your question and not giving any new information, but that's the best I can do now!  If I can find absolute documentation in my references, which I haven't been able to do yet, I'll let you know.
HTH,

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Andreas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »

Mark,

thanks for your suggestions. Camouflage colours are a difficult matter, especially repaintings in the field with only black&white photos on hand. Unfortunately in this case there`s also a lack of information what colours the Curtiss factory applied, which colours have been used on which serial no. etc.
Anyway, thanks again for your reply!

Andreas
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 04:48:03 AM »

One thing with the paint the factory used, they didn't stick exactly with the colors specified by the military, they would just have DuPont get it close.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: