P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 02:39:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CACW P-40N  (Read 11686 times)
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »

This is the 48th scale Mauve kit in the markings of Capt. Raymond Callaway, 8th FS/3rd FG of the Chinese-American Composite Wing (CACW).  Capt. Callaway was credited with six confirmed aerial victories.  With the exception of a True Details seat,aftermarket decals, and a few scratchbuilt items, the kit is OOB.  Thanks for looking!

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 04:45:33 AM »

Vary nice and some unusual markings as well!  Who made the decals? I have this model in my stash somewhere, any problems in the build?
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 09:54:05 AM »

Most of the decals are by Cutting Edge.  However, to my dismay I discovered that the port and starboard sharksmouth decals were exactly the same, not mirror images, meaning that one side was useless.  Fortunately, Eagle Strike does the markings as well and I had their set on hand, so used their sharksmouth instead.

The Mauve kit is relatively easy to build, not having all the inserts and plugs like the Hasegawa kit.  The main area to watch out for is the wing-root/fuselage fit, for unless carefully fitted there can be a rather large gap. 

Thanks for looking!

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 06:01:49 AM »

I'll definitely stay away from the one set of decals and look for the others, I look at eBay for some of the older decals as well.

Thanks for the good information on the kit, I got one off of eBay sometime ago that had a number of resin pieces and a piece of photo etch as well.  Still slowly working on my 1/48 AMTech E.  I have an ever-growing number of models on my bench it seems like,and have a Klingon Bird of Prey I am painting, a 1/1000 Star Trek Enterprise I screwed up big time on the primer and I'm trying to get it all off, another 1/1000 Star Trek Enterprise 95% ready for final primer and then painting, this one as the Defiant, in the original series it was being pulled back into a alternate time or something like that and it was glowing green so I bought some very good glow-in-the-dark paint which I will put on a few coats when I am done with the model.  Should look cool.  Also have a 1/16 rear engine dragster I had partially built about 35 years ago and got damaged bad in an accident and I did a terrible job of fixing it back then, working on restoring it and then finishing it.  Also have a 1/16 funny car, just got an aftermarket T altered body that's incredible right out of the package, body is so smooth and clean its looked really ready for primer. a couple weekends ago, I also picked up a Revell Wolfman, it's the only figure I'd built when I was a kid when it was originally released by Aurora, couldn't resist getting it again, it's close to being ready for primer, it should be fun to paint. Nothing like a variety of models to work on!
Johnny Signor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 11:20:58 AM »

Hey Great and unusual kit there, I always enjoy seeing a fairly common aircraft type in very different markings,and this one is in that catagory !
I have been doing some research on the Chinese unit emblems and am wondering if you have any thing on the unit emblems of the Fighter and Bomber units that are people flew with the Chinese,can you send me any scans???
If so thank you very much !!!!!!  I have the emblems designs for these so far,CACW,1st Bomb Grp(Prov),2nd Bomb sqd(Prov),4th Bomb Sqd(Prov),5th Fighter Group,7th Fighter sqd,1st CACW,26th Fighter Sqd(Prov),28th Ftr sqd(Prov),5th "Owl" ?,Eagle inflight over Chinese emblem and red sun in it's Talons Huh.

I am a researcher of all types of WW2 era emblems of flying units USAAF/USN/USMC and have a very large arcive of designs both Official and Unofficial, looking forward to your reply and have a great day!
Johnny
WeBeEmblems@aol.com
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 10:30:42 AM »

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the kind comments on my build.  Unfortunately, I've not found anything in regards to the emblems of the CACW so can't be of any help in your quest.  Good luck, though!

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: