P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 05:00:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: P-40L: Finished!!!!  (Read 40462 times)
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 09:29:48 AM »

Mark,

How do you apply your Mr. Surfacer 1000?
Airbrush?

I have a spray can of it (the white kind) and it seems to go on heavy out of the can yet dries somewhat translucent.  Yours seems so good and opaque.  Are you putting on lots of coats?

Vince

Hi Vince,

I apply it with an airbrush, thinning it with lacquer thinner.  I also have a bottle of Gunze Mr. Color Thinner, which I believe is the "recommended" thinner; however, I've yet to try it.  At least with lacquer thinner, you need to thin it quite a bit otherwise you will end up with 'spider webs' all over the place.  Ask me how I know!

I don't really keep track of how many coats I apply, although in some areas I apply it more heavily than others to cover more noticeable flaws.

I also have a can of Mr. Surfacer 1000 and like you have found it goes on heavy out of the can.  You could probably decant it, although I've never tried since I use the bottled stuff instead.

HTH,

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »

Still need to do some touch-ups and detail painting, but here's the result so far:

This is not the specific plane I'm modeling but another from the same fighter group, the 324th.  Many of its P-40s were hand-me-downs from the 325th FG, the famed "Checkertail Clan."  The OD on the tail area is where the yellow and black checkers were painted over, and the OD patch on the fuselage covers the original plane number while assigned to the 325th:

Photograph from "P-40 Warhawk in WWII Color," by Jeffrey Ethel.

Thanks for your patience with this build!

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 05:54:00 AM »

Well, after five months she's all done Smiley The only thing missing is the reflector gun sight, because the one I have is the incorrect type.  Anyway, this is "Duchess of Durham" while flown by then Captain Bruce Hunt of the 314th FS/324th FG.  "Duchess" was originally flown by ace "Zack" Taylor of the 325th FG.  I've had the privilege of corresponding with Col. Hunt via email and snail mail the past year or so, and this is my small way to honor a truly generous and humble hero.

Here's a 314th FS unit patch, done by Johnny Signor, which I will display with the model:

Thanks for looking!

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 08:42:53 AM »

That looks really nice!  Great job!  Nice paint scheme, one you don't see very often.
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 08:46:42 AM »

Excellent job, Mark!

You know I like it!

Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 10:11:31 AM »

Thanks guys!

I appreciate your taking the time to check it out and post the nice comments.

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Derek B

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 07:35:20 PM »

Really beautifully made model Mark, and very cleanly painted as well Smiley

I hope to eventually make the same aircraft - in the same scheme - in 1/32 scale one day! Wink

Cheers

Derek
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 05:03:07 PM by Derek B » Logged

Derek Bradshaw
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 09:31:29 AM »

Really beautifully made model Joyce, and very cleanly painted as well Smiley

I hope to eventually make the same aircraft - in the same scheme - in 1/32 scale one day! Wink

Cheers

Derek

Thanks for the kind comments, Derek.  I eagerly await the P-40F/L resin conversion!

Regards.

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Derek B

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 05:04:13 PM »

Really beautifully made model Joyce, and very cleanly painted as well Smiley

Cheers

Derek

Thanks for the kind comments, Derek.  I eagerly await the P-40F/L resin conversion!

Regards.

Mark

No problem Mark - I hope to resume work on it soon.

Best regards

Derek

Derek Bradshaw
Mustanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 07:01:15 AM »

Just came onboard, Mark.

Nice job.

The sound of squeaking track brings it all back
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: