P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 05:22:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles Dills' P-40F project  (Read 34001 times)
Vince_M

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2009, 01:08:21 PM »

Hi all,

I met Charles Dills online a few years ago and promised to build a model of his Warhawk.
It has taken me years to get going on this project (I have small kids).
There is an article with his comments on the main site here that you all can read.

This is the Warhawk I'm trying to build.
He says it is not olive drab but a dusty gray color.  I'm needing help on this topic.

Here's my AMT P-40F with the replacement nose.  It's a nice kit and a nice price too!

Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:08:22 AM »

Hi Vince,

Thanks for posting the nice photo of Mr. Dill and his P-40.  Here are a couple of comments I have on it, although I'll put out the disclaimer that these comments aren't infallible!

First, the nose emblem is that of the 64th FS--the Black Scorpions--of the 57th FG, so it's a hand-me-down from this unit, although I'm guessing you already know this.  Based on the flared exhausts and the presence of the small window on the windscreen, I think this is a P-40L, which I'm fairly certain the 64th flew.  Most if not all these P-40L's were painted in the desert scheme of Middlestone and Dark Earth over Azure Blue.  This scheme was usually applied at the factory using masks so the pattern was the same from plane to plane.  Obviously I can't tell the colors from the photograph, but it looks like this P-40 has that pattern.  Usually one of the areas where the Middlestone would be painted is where the exhausts and nose emblem are on Mr. Dill's P-40, and it appears this is the case since this area is a lighter shade than the area surrounding it.  This area also exhibits quite a bit of paint chipping, leading me to believe it's not been repainted, at least anytime soon.  Perhaps one or both of the colors, at least the Dark Earth, faded to the point that at least one of them appeared the dusty gray color that he refers to.  Or, it's possible that one or both was repainted prior to being assigned to Mr. Dill's unit.

So...if it were my build, and based solely on the photograph, I would go with heavily weathered Dark Earth and Middlestone over Azure Blue....although that sounds contrary to what Mr. Dill says.

By the way, nice work on the conversion so far!  It looks like you did a great job of the fit between the resin nose and fuselage.

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 11:51:35 AM »

Thanks for the help, Mark!

I agree with you that the photograph indicates a hint of a two tone scheme because the typical pattern areas are somewhat visible.
It's interesting that there is so little contrast between the two colors though.
He insisted that it was not olive drab.  Also he didn't agree to the earth and mid stone one either.

I asked him to go to the paint department at Home Depot.
He picked out Glidden "Oak Alley" which looks a lot like earth brown.  I'll probably use a faded Dark Earth with lots of weathering.

http://www.myperfectcolor.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MPC0098274
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 01:21:31 PM »

Here's some pics of my slow progress.
It's hard to see it but there is Aves Apoxie putty serving to blend between the plastic and resin.
The darker gray is Tamiya putty which also has very little shrinkage and I'm beginning to prefer it over the Squadron putty.
As you can see, I need to full the "scallops" like Mark did.
This is the AMT P-40F kit.  Mr. Dills insists his plane is a P-40F but I think it might be a P-40L due to that extra canopy bracing in the photo.
However, it is for him so I will build it as a short tail "F"!

Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 11:02:32 PM »

Looking good, Vince!  Tamiya putty is probably my favorite.  Lots of folks prefer Mr. Surfacer 500 and, although I use it too, personally I tend to get better results with Tamiya.

I agree:  build it as Mr. Dills remembers!

Maark

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 11:34:36 AM »

Well, I'm getting pretty close to being finished.
After all, Mr. Dills is 88 year old!

This is the scheme we agreed upon.
We don't know the serial number for the tail so I'm leaving it off.
I would have weathered this image more but my Photoshop skills are not there...yet.

Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 11:36:53 PM »

Thanks for the update, Vince.  The profile looks great.  I wish I knew how to do Photoshop!

I assume you are making your own decals for the wording "Patty-B II."

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Jim

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 05:14:14 AM »

I am bustin to see the finished aircraft.

Its wonderful that you are making this model for a genuine P40 wartime pilot.

I have the utmost respect for those men.
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 05:47:30 AM »

I'm finally getting close!

Jim

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 07:48:05 AM »

looking good. Cool
Allok

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »

Well done so far, real tidy.
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 07:12:53 AM »

Nice work, Vince!  I can't wait to see it finished.

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 11:37:29 AM »

Almost there....
I had a lot of issues making my own markings for the nose.  Not totally happy but learned a lot...
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 11:46:25 AM »

I finally finished!

Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 11:38:50 AM »

She is definitely a beauty, Vince! Smiley Smiley Smiley  You really did a great job of grafting on that nose, along with the painting and final finish.  I hope Mr. Dills is still around to appreciate your work.

Regards,

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: