P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:00:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: RNZAF P-40K-15, using the 1/32-scale Hasegawa P-40E  (Read 55570 times)
Allok

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2009, 04:22:07 AM »

Quick question, colour behind fuse side windows? All the builds I have seen have a different take on this. Is it the same as the interior or an external colour.
Did it differ from model to model (I'm starting a long tailed K in RAF colours)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:39:57 PM by Allok » Logged
Allok

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 04:27:09 AM »

Oh look, these are my first posts, better introduce myself.

My name is Keith, I live in New Zealand and build mostly 1/32-scale planes.
Some of you may already know me, most of the time I hang out at LSP (Brads Fault) but this is the best spot for P-40 info.

Thanks,
Keith.
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:17:10 AM »

Hi Keith,

From the color photos I've seen, the area you are referring to appears to be painted the exterior color(s).  Absent photographs of a specific P-40 I'm modeling that show otherwise, that's the way I go.

HTH,

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »

I'll concur with what Mark said...
Allok

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:42:21 AM »

I tend to agree with you guys.
Hasegawa says to paint it the same colour as the interior.
At the moment, I'm in the middle of extending the fuse (below the tail)

Anybody know if the long tailed Ks have the instrument shroud? Or should you be able to see the back of the instruments?

Keith.
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 01:21:38 PM »

From the photographs I've looked at, it appears the long-tail K had the shroud.

HTH,

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 12:15:40 PM »

From a post on my old forum quite a few pages back, this question was brought up and someone said that the Curtiss plant painted the aircraft before the glass was installed so the paint behind the windows would be the same as the paint scheme, the interior dream behind the windows wouldn't be correct unless it was gone in the field after some battle damage or something. If the aircraft was painted later in the field which they often were, they tended not to remove the glass so whenever original scheme was painted, that would most likely be behind the windows yet.
Allok

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 11:22:29 PM »

Thanks guys. Mods done.
Actually, I might start a build thread so you can see what I'm up to.

Keith.
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 12:18:19 AM »

Thanks guys. Mods done.
Actually, I might start a build thread so you can see what I'm up to.

Keith.

Please do, Keith!

Ignorance is bliss
Allok

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 03:53:06 PM »

I started this one last April and managed to assemble the Cockpit before other things got in the way.
Now those projects are done, I can get back into this and see how much damage I can do.

I've also posted this build on a couple of other sites but unless I live to be about 150, I might not get the chance to build another P-40 (My stash is starting to bulge a little). So here goes:

The Kit cockpit is very nice and an ease to build. I especially like the seat wich is normally a weak point, even in newer kits. I added some PE Sutton harnesses from PKTinyland and had a go at punching out the kit instrument decals. Apart from that, I've left in pretty much OOB.

Some green paint.

Another angle.

Allok

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 03:59:37 PM »

A little detail painting and belts from Peter Kormos.

The other side.

Allok

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 04:09:43 PM »

My third attempt at making the IP. A bit of a nightmare but it will have to do. If I fiddle with it anymore, I'll ruin it.

All glued in.

P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 04:18:34 PM »

Hi Keith,

Nice to see you posting here, I haven't been back to LSP too much lately other than looking at that thread of that magnificent Huey that my friend Brian from Malta sent me a link for.

I haven't picked up one of these Hasegawa P-40's yet as my closets are bulging with models, but the detail in this cockpit is really good and I agree, the seat is usually a big falling down part in most P-40 models.

Your cockpit looks great all painted up!  If you don't mind me pointing out one thing that I see a lot of people get wrong, all of the P-40 variants left the pilot seat in natural aluminum, they didn't start painting it until the N version. No big deal if it's too late or too much work to change it as it still looks really good. Can't wait to see more progress on it!  Smiley
Allok

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 04:21:21 PM »

I want to have the flaps down but I've had to do a little extra work.

P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »

Oops, I posted this while you were still posting pictures, I see you already have the cockpit put together.  Great job on weathering, nice and subtle and pretty realistic.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: