P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 12:28:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: P-40E Texas Longhorn (Lt John Landers) THE END.....  (Read 42162 times)
dms340

dimpalassis@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:57:21 PM »

Greetings from Greece!

I came up to your wonderfull site for this spectacular warbird, after I had a communication with Alex Kontiveis! I am reccently building Hasegawas 1/32, P-40E , and I have chosen to paint it in Lt's John Landers markings... This bird had flownin New Guinea under 9th FS/49th FG....

I have a question for the painting of the undersurfaces...Hasegawa suggests Azzure Blue! Is that correct, or is it neutral grey?Huh??

Thank you in advance for any reply!!!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 02:48:58 AM by dms340 » Logged
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:23:50 AM »

It depends on the topside color.  I believe Landers had at least two P-40Es assigned to him while with the 49th FG.  I believe the first was 'Skeeter,' which was painted in the camouflage scheme of Dark Earth and Dark Green.  There continues to be a debate as to the underside color of this scheme.  Here's a link to one of the many discussions on Hyperscale regarding this question.  Even though it addresses the P-40Es of the Flying Tigers it should still be relevant for Landers':

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1201269446/

I believe 'Texas Longhorn' was Landers' second and it had the same camouflage scheme as his first.  However, if the topside was Olive Drab, then the bottom would be Neutral Gray.

HTH,

Mark
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:35:38 AM by Mark Joyce » Logged

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 12:08:24 PM »

Marks analysis is very good.  I attached a scan of the back cover of the older P-40 In Action which has a drying of that airplane and it says it has the blue underside.  This of course doesn't mean it's correct, just another option.  Like Mark said, best to research what the other aircraft in that area at that time were using and that would be most likely the best bet to go with. Without a color photo, it really comes down to detective work.

Good luck with your model and please post some pictures of your progress here!  Would love to see it!  Smiley
dms340

dimpalassis@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:14:43 AM »

Thank you both for the kind and immediate reply....I ve decided to follow the known steps, and not try to be a detective while ''Texas Longhorn'' is a debateable issue! So I  proceeded, painting a ''Flying Tigers'' bird! Its the most ''worn'' scheme on models, but yet the most impressive...I am posting some photos from the beggining of the construction till now! I have to mention that I used Eduard's Big ED set #3271!

There are some marks from the bluetack masking that is already fixed, but I have no photos yet...I used Lifecolors US Brown and Dark Green for The upper surfaces, and Neutral Grey  for the underside. Pre-Shading an Post- Shading techniques were used!

I m currently applying the decals, a wash will follow as well as a dry pastel weathering! I ll post the progress as soon as possible! I really hope you like my effort on that bird...

Have a nice day!!!
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 12:25:07 AM »

Very impressive work so far!  I really like the job you've done with the pre- and post-shading. 

Regards,

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
dms340

dimpalassis@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 04:43:15 AM »

A couple of shots just before the end....

P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 05:39:16 AM »

That's really nice!  The shading and weathering is nice and subtle which really adds to the realism!
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 10:35:11 AM »

Fabulous build!  It definitely has that used and weather-beaten look.  What type and color pastels do you use for the weathering?

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
dms340

dimpalassis@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 06:24:35 PM »

That's really nice!  The shading and weathering is nice and subtle which really adds to the realism!

Thanks mate! I m glad you like it...

Fabulous build!  It definitely has that used and weather-beaten look.  What type and color pastels do you use for the weathering?

Mark

I hope I wont get boring, but I ll explain the whole proccess....I applied a grey cote and then procceeded to pre shading, with black colour to the upper surfaces, ''filling'' the panels with yellow and white, and dark grey to the underside surfaces, filling the panels in white.

I applied the scheme colours lightened with yellow and small drops of white for both US Brown and Dark Green, and white for the Neutral Grey...Post shading took place with 3-4 lightened shades of the basic colours...

Then i followed the usual method------>gloss cote----->decals----->wash (black and burnt sienna of winsor and newton)

The model was then coated in matt varnish and i used reeves soft pastels to recreate exhaust and gun stains, as well as shading some panels and decals....I made some chipping with interior green (these birds were coated in that colour first) and silver using a toothpick!

I am really happy that you liked this effort Mark, and I ll be back soon with the finished model!

Kind regards,

Dimitris
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 12:51:57 PM »

Thanks for the write up on how you do your painting.  Whenever you do your next model, whatever it is, when you get to this stage, could you post a couple pictures of the different stages you use in your painting, I think that would be a big help as your final results are really good!
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 09:27:56 PM »

Your results are spectacular!

One thing I'm trying to figure out is how to make the decals look faded too.
Do you overspray with gray while they are off the model?
Alex Kontiveis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 02:55:28 PM »

hi Jim,
As I told U, the guys here are very helpful. I'm glad you managed to get your info about your P40.

Keep listening to them.

The model is Really awesome!

Alex.

dms340

dimpalassis@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 02:49:35 AM »

Thanks for the write up on how you do your painting.  Whenever you do your next model, whatever it is, when you get to this stage, could you post a couple pictures of the different stages you use in your painting, I think that would be a big help as your final results are really good!

I am soon getting deployed in Afghanistan, so it would be difficult for me to continue modelling...I promise though that I ll be delighted to post my next construction here, whenever that would be....

Your results are spectacular!

One thing I'm trying to figure out is how to make the decals look faded too.
Do you overspray with gray while they are off the model?

Thank you for your kind words Vince! I ve used pastels in different shades to fade them out....Lighter shades of blue till grey...

hi Jim,
As I told U, the guys here are very helpful. I'm glad you managed to get your info about your P40.

Keep listening to them.

The model is Really awesome!

Alex.

Thanx Alex! Your help was pretty helpfull too, as well as your instruction to communicate with this forum...
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 12:16:36 PM »

Take care in Afghanistan and keep your head down!  Here's to your safe and speedy return. Thanks much for serving and helping to keep us safe!
dms340

dimpalassis@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 02:52:56 AM »

I am back safe, so it was time to deal with some unfinished bussines... Here are the photos that I promised to you! I ll have some better in day light tomorrow...I hope you like it!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: