P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 07:50:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question About P-40 Propeller Types  (Read 29170 times)
kb466

View Profile Email
« on: February 25, 2010, 02:22:55 AM »

I have some questions for the P-40 Warhawk/ Kittyhawk experts.  It is my understanding from looking at pictures and from what I have been told in the past, that there were two variations of propellers used on P-40 Warhawks.  It appears that the P-40E and early F’s and K’s used a prop with a narrow blade, while the later F’s, K’s, L’s, M’s and N’s used a prop with a wider blade.  My question is—Can anyone provide some detailed information about these different props, particularly the wider-blade prop?—such as specs, details, measurements etc.?  Does anyone know for sure when the changeover to the wider-blade props was made—which production runs, etc.?  Are these P-40 props the same as were fitted to the Allison-powered P-51's and A-36's?  Any and all help will be most appreciated.  Thanks!
Bill M.
Kb466@hotmail.com
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 06:13:18 AM »

I am curious about this too.
It is noticeable that the early Tomahawk props looked different at the tips than say, a later model P-40N.  They were all Curtiss Electric though.  Yes, the early Allison Mustangs used the Curtiss Electric prop.  As to how and when they refined the shape of the blade, I have no facts...
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 08:42:39 AM »

I asked this same question last month on Hyperscale.  Here's a link to my post along with the responses:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1263351143/

HTH,

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Derek B

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:01:33 PM »

Hello,

My name is Derek Bradshaw (I live in the UK), and I am a newcomer to these forums. I am a model maker and have made model master patterns for various companies for over 25 years. One of the reasons Bill has asked for technical information/dimensions for the later P-40 wide chord 'paddle' blade propeller (Curtiss Wide blade Part No 89303-24W) is because I would like to make one in 1/32 scale as an after market accessory for the Hasegawa P-40 kit. If there are any experts out there, or anyone who may have any access or technical details for these type of propeller blades, then I would be very gratful for assistance with any information that could be provided to me.

Best regards and thanks

Derek

Derek Bradshaw
kb466

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 12:54:24 AM »

If you can help Derek, please do.  Derek is the gentleman who is preparing the masters for the spectacular upcoming 1/32 scale P-40F/L Merlin-powered Warhawk conversion.  If we can help him out with information on the wide-chord propeller, it will make it that much easier to build an accurate late Warhawk.  He is also thinking of doing some diamond or block tread tires for late P-40's as well.  If you have any information on those, I am sure he would love to hear from you.  Thanks!
Bill M.
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 04:02:25 AM »

Hello,

My name is Derek Bradshaw (I live in the UK), and I am a newcomer to these forums. I am a model maker and have made model master patterns for various companies for over 25 years. One of the reasons Bill has asked for technical information/dimensions for the later P-40 wide chord 'paddle' blade propeller (Curtiss Wide blade Part No 89303-24W) is because I would like to make one in 1/32 scale as an after market accessory for the Hasegawa P-40 kit. If there are any experts out there, or anyone who may have any access or technical details for these type of propeller blades, then I would be very gratful for assistance with any information that could be provided to me.

Best regards and thanks

Derek

Hi Derek, welcome aboard!

It's been a long time since I talk to you, I used to be one of the editors on LSP.  Really looking forward to your conversion, I saw it on the LSP message board.

I will dig through the factory drawings that I have and see if there are any for the propellers, if they are, I will let you know.
kb466

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 04:38:55 AM »

Hello,

Best regards and thanks

Derek

It's been a long time since I talk to you, I used to be one of the editors on LSP.  Really looking forward to your conversion, I saw it on the LSP message board.

I will dig through the factory drawings that I have and see if there are any for the propellers, if they are, I will let you know.
While you are checking your research materials, could we impose upon you to look to see if you might have any helpful information on wheels, tires, and tire tread patterns?  Derek is thinking he may want to do some 1/32 replacement tires and wheels with diamond or block tread.  Thanks!
Bill M.
Derek B

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 07:42:33 AM »

Hello,

Best regards and thanks

Derek

It's been a long time since I talk to you, I used to be one of the editors on LSP.  Really looking forward to your conversion, I saw it on the LSP message board.

Hi Brad?,

It is nice to talk to you again Smiley, and thank you for the warm welcome. Anything that you can find to assist me with will help me a great deal, so I am very grateful to you in advance.

Best regards and thanks

Derek
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:12:52 AM by Derek B » Logged

Derek Bradshaw
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: