P-40 Warhawk Forums
April 20, 2024, 06:03:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/32 P-40F/L Conversion Update  (Read 41897 times)
Derek B

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 07:50:16 AM »

Derek, et al,
I just looked at my Hasegawa P-40N kit and I noticed that they include a separate exhaust panel without the "scallop".  It is on parts tree "E".  In fact, it is the only item on parts tree "E".  I assume that the P-40E kit has the scallop in its exhaust panel, but I don't have an example of the P-40E kit in front of me to confirm this.  I am assuming that Derek is working from a P-40E kit.  Regardless, it does not look like there are separate scallop inserts. 
Bill M.

Vince/Bill,

It is as I thought then, a seperate - and different - piece. I have already decided to add seperate scallop pices to the pattern, so that modellers will have a choice.

Regards

Derek

Derek Bradshaw
Derek B

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 07:54:11 AM »

That's looking really great Derek!  A good number of years ago I tried converting the Revell to a L which didn't go all that good, there really is a tremendous amount of work involved in this and finding accurate drawings isn't all that easy either.  I have some factory drawings of the nose as well if they would ever help.

Hello Brad?,

Thank you (and everyone else) for the very kind compliments, they are very much appreciated. Thank you also for the very kind offer of looking into your technical drawings - I am certain that I shall require additional expert advice as I proceed through the various P-40 master patterns in the future! Wink

Cheers

Derek
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:13:39 AM by Derek B » Logged

Derek Bradshaw
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 05:27:16 AM »

Yep, it's me, Brad.  I used to be one of the editors on LSP.

I have a number of factory drawings that I could e-mail you, please e-mail me at

wolf427@comcast.net

I can then get the drawings to you.
Derek B

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 03:51:21 PM »

Yep, it's me, Brad.  I used to be one of the editors on LSP.

I have a number of factory drawings that I could e-mail you, please e-mail me at

wolf427@comcast.net

I can then get the drawings to you.

Hello Brad,

I thought that it was you! (please send my regards to Vernon as well). E-mail will be on its mway to you presently. I am working on the under fudelage fairing from the back or the radiatoe matrix to the wing front spar at present, and I am looking for any technical or good pictures of the transverse pivot shaft pick ups for the flap operating levers that is located at the aft lower cowl attachment position (see my e-mail).

Best regards and thanks

Derek

Derek Bradshaw
kb466

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »

I saw the news about the pending release of the Hasegawa 1/32 Kittyhawk Mk.I/MK.III kit.  This is good news for those wishing to do this conversion to a P-40F/L.  As this kit covers both the Kittyhawk Mk. I (P-40E) and the Mk. III (P-40M), this kit should offer both short and long tails, both round and fishtail exhausts, and both windshields, with or without the left-side vent windows.  Thus this kit can be used to build any variation of the P-40F/L.  Because of all the parts options that should be in the kit, this should be the best option to start on the conversion.
kb466

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 12:37:15 AM »

For those following the progress of the 1/32 P-40F/L conversion, Derek Bradshaw posted some new information and pictures of the progress he is making on the masters over at the LSP.  It looks like it is close to being finished!  Here is a link--
http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=29194
Derek B

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »

Thanks for that Bill. Most of my updates will appear on LSP first, so Bill's link will be useful. Life is keeping me way too busy at the moment, but normal service should be resumed during this Month, so stay tuned!

Derek

Derek Bradshaw
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 09:13:29 PM »

Hi Derek,

That area behind the lower cowling on a P-40F has always been a bit of a mystery to me as there just aren't many good photos of it!  Good luck.

Also, I suggest the front "lip" of the cowling needs to be sharper.  It looks a little fat in the photos.

Vince
Derek B

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 05:02:20 PM »

Hi Derek,

That area behind the lower cowling on a P-40F has always been a bit of a mystery to me as there just aren't many good photos of it!  Good luck.

Also, I suggest the front "lip" of the cowling needs to be sharper.  It looks a little fat in the photos.

Vince

Hello vince,

You are correct, there really is very little information with regard to what actually lies behind the radiator on these aircraft! As for the intake lip, both the pattern and the real aircraft are very deceptive to the eye as far as shape is concerned (not helped a great deal by the white plastic in my pictures providing a distorted view). The lip itself has a small radius at its edge, but quite a fat curvature as it follows the lower line of the cowl fairing (I sometimes think that mine may not be fat enough);this gives the lower nose its distinctive 'jutting' shape. This pattern is a major rework of one started by Vasko Barbic of Warbird Productions, so I am limited to some extent as to how much it can be reshaped, and I have kept the overall shape and dimensions as Vasko originally produced them.

Thanks

Derek

Derek Bradshaw
kb466

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 09:57:27 PM »

For those who have been asking about and following the progress on the soon-to-be-released 1/32 P-40F/L conversion, the master pattern maker, Derek Bradshaw has posted some pictures over on the LSP forum. Here is a link--

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=29194&pid=270259&st=45entry270259

It is looking good!... and it is looking close to completion!
Bill M.
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 01:21:54 AM »

Derek,
I saw the photos of the master pattern mocked up with a Hasegawa kit.
Bravo on a job well done.  It's the best Merlin P-40 conversion I have ever seen!

Grin
Derek B

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 07:11:44 AM »

Derek,
I saw the photos of the master pattern mocked up with a Hasegawa kit.
Bravo on a job well done.  It's the best Merlin P-40 conversion I have ever seen!

Grin

Thanks Vince (and everyone else) for the very kind comments. The master pattern is now with Grey Matter Figures and I am currently working on an instruction sheet for the conversion.

Regards

Derek

Derek Bradshaw
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 04:59:45 AM »

Excellent job on the conversion Derek!  I saw some pictures of it reviewed on LSP, it's a great addition.  Will this conversion also fit the old Revell P-40E?
Derek B

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »

Excellent job on the conversion Derek!  I saw some pictures of it reviewed on LSP, it's a great addition.  Will this conversion also fit the old Revell P-40E?

Thanks Brad, that is very kind of you. When Vasko Barbic first made this nose, it was designed for the Revell P-40E kit, but I completely re-worked it to fit the Hasegawa kit, which is a fair bit wider than the Revell kit in fuselage cross-section. However, the resin upper engine cowl is quite thick, so it may be possible sand it down sufficiently enough to fit the Hasegawa kit? (I have not tried this, but it may work - You'd have to re-scribe it afterwards though).

HTH

Derek

Derek Bradshaw
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: