P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 12:36:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheels and Flap Position Indicator Gauges  (Read 6289 times)
gfolsom

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2010, 05:55:54 AM »

I just found a Wheel/Flap position indicator gauge for sale at "Warbird Parts . com" - see attached#1 -
After some hunting around the web, It seems that this gauge was only used in the early models. The newer AN5780 seems to have been used later. The older G.E. 8DJ4-PXAB gauge shows a silhouette of the plane from the top, while the newer AN5780 shows the plane from the front. - see attached#2 -

It also seems that the K,L,M,N models simply used a light for the extents of travel indicator with a rod that thrusts up through the wings to indicate the gear and flap extentions.

Please chime in to help me figure out which models used which gauges.
I'm working on the Replica over in the P-40s Today page and want to try to put the correct gauges in the correct versions (or replicas of the original gauges, anyway)
We will try to offer at least three versions of the Hawk:
1) Shark Nose
2) High Nose/short tail
3) High Nose/long tail

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all.

Fly Low - Go Fast - Turn Left
____/\____
   \_\/_/
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:02:57 AM »

Have you checked out this website, with photographs of cockpits for US airplanes?

http://uscockpits.com/M-R.html#P

From what I see, all models pictured use the gauge shown in your attached photo #1.

Sorry, but that's all I have.. Smiley

Regards,

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
gfolsom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 09:41:18 PM »

Mark,
Thanks for the link to US cockpits. I hadn't ever seen that one. There are some really good shots in there, even though a couple of the models were missing. It does look like the K model still used the gauge, even though there are the sticks coming out of the wing also. I guess I was misinformed or misunderstood about the newer version of the gauge with the front view. It seems like that gauge was never used on the P-40s
I ordered my gauge from Warbird Parts so it should be here in a few days. Then I'll have to figure out how to make a "modern" version of it that is flyable so I don't risk the old/rare equipment in the replica.
Thanks again for the link.

Fly Low - Go Fast - Turn Left
____/\____
   \_\/_/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: