P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 02:26:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Subtype identification  (Read 10145 times)
sys

View Profile Email
« on: September 17, 2010, 03:48:07 PM »

Hello!
I found some photos, but I couldn't identify the model of the plane.
I think they have a short fuselage in most of cases (I can't see well in every photos), with dorsal fillet like the late E, early K type; but there is a perforated grill (for carburetor bypass air) just forward of the exhaust. Because of it the planes seem like an M or N version.
Are this modifications just appear on some planes or it was a general factory rebuilding of early types with Allison V-1710-81 engines? And which subtype were these?
For example in this site / WW2 era photos / first photo of Lawrence Dietz 23 photos
Thank you for your replies.
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 01:06:10 AM »

Sounds like a P-40R.
In this case they took various P-40F and L models and put Allison noses on them so they could use the Merlin engines on things like Mustangs.  Some of those could have been short tailed F models so it would look like a P-40E with a P-40N nose!
sys

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 01:35:48 PM »

Hello!
Thank you for the reply. At first sight I said these planes were R models. But I didn't know F or L models had dorsal fillet. That's the reason why I'm not sure in this. Another question: There were any F or L models with dorsal fillet?
I apologize you for the 'brainstorming'.
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »

In this case where you have a "K" type tail and a "N" type nose, that is something I have never seen before.
sys

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 02:57:14 AM »

Hi!
This is the link below:
http://www.aviation-history.com/curtiss/p40.html
I think about the third photo, the text below the photo: "Above is a P-40K-1. "
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 11:01:53 AM »

Hello!
Thank you for the reply. At first sight I said these planes were R models. But I didn't know F or L models had dorsal fillet. That's the reason why I'm not sure in this. Another question: There were any F or L models with dorsal fillet?
I apologize you for the 'brainstorming'.

There is a photograph in the softcover book, "P-40 Warhawk in Action #205," of a P-40F with a dorsal fillet.  However, according to the caption only one "F" was configured thus, and the look of this fillet is different than that seen in the "K" model.  Like Vince, my first thought was the one you are referring to is an "R," although the "In Action" book states that the "R" versions were originally P-40F airframes....which besides that one specimen had no dorsal fillet  The book also indicates that the records regarding this model are conflicting, so perhaps it's possible that some "K" models had the perforated grills.  You pose an interesting question....maybe there is no definite answer!

HTH,

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
sys

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:54:20 PM »

Hello!
Thank you for your answer too. Sorry that I continued, but have you any idea to an other photo?
The photo is in this site: WW2 era photos / first photo of Lawrence Dietz 23 photos from the Aleutians
http://www.p40warhawk.com/WW2_Era/Photos/DougDietz/LawrenceDietz/LawrenceDietz.htm
Thanks
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 01:33:12 AM »

That is strange.  I've not seen that type of perforated inlet on a short tail "K".
I wonder if it needed a new cowling panel and all they had available was an "N" cowling.  In that case the hardware under the cowling would not be there.  Interesting.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: