P-40 Warhawk Forums
April 20, 2024, 11:20:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: P40, help with book selections.  (Read 10190 times)
Jim

View Profile Email
« on: March 16, 2011, 08:10:07 AM »

Hi everyone,
I am looking for P40 books particularly those of a technical nature.

I would be grateful for any information.
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:56:29 AM »

Two I can list off the top of my head are Bert Kinzey's "P-40 Warhawk in Detail, Vol. 61" and "P-40 Warhawk in Detail, Vol. 62."  Vol. 61 basically deals with the P-36 thru P-40C while Vol. 62 deals with all later versions.

When you say of a technical nature, are you looking for something specific?  Everybody else probably knows exactly what you need, but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed Embarrassed  A little elaboration might just help me decide what other books will work for you.

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Jim

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 05:06:51 AM »

Hello Mark,
thank you for your reply.
I have the books you mention and they are both excellent books.
I am looking for in depth books about the P40s development and the politics behind it.
I would also like to learn more about Curtis as a company and the designers that worked there.
I would enjoy reading about the research and testing leading up to the finished product.

Just my opinion but I view the P40 as an outstanding aircraft of its time, an aircraft that never got the praise it truely deserved.

Two I can list off the top of my head are Bert Kinzey's "P-40 Warhawk in Detail, Vol. 61" and "P-40 Warhawk in Detail, Vol. 62."  Vol. 61 basically deals with the P-36 thru P-40C while Vol. 62 deals with all later versions.

When you say of a technical nature, are you looking for something specific?  Everybody else probably knows exactly what you need, but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed Embarrassed  A little elaboration might just help me decide what other books will work for you.

Mark

Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 09:19:36 AM »

Jim,

I agree 100% with your appraisal of the P-40.  What's ironic is that, with just a couple of exceptions, every pilot I've talked to who has flown the P-40 thinks fondly of it. 

One book I have that has a lot of information you are looking for (but not all) is Schiffer Military History's, "Vee's for Victory!  The Story of the Allison V-1710 Aircraft Engine 1929-1948," by Daniel D. Whitney.  As the title implies, it is not exclusive to the P-40 but covers everything under the sun that utilized this powerplant.  It also is not inexpensive (although well worth its price in my opinion).

There are other books out there about the Curtiss Aircraft Company and I'm sure they have a wealth of information including the history and "inside story" of the P-40, but I don't have any of them so can't speak specifically about their contents. 

Hope this helps,

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Jim

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 02:45:11 AM »

Thank you Mark, I shall look for that book, its sounds like an excellent read to me.
 Cool
dms340

dimpalassis@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 01:41:56 AM »

Here are some books I have in mind :

Osprey Aircraft of the Aces #43: P-40 Warhawk Aces of the MTO

Osprey Aircraft of the Aces #35: P-40 Warhawk Aces of the CBI

Osprey Aircraft of the Aces #55: P-40 Warhawk Aces of the Pacific

Aircraft Profile 136 - The Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk I-IV

Profile Publications #35 - The Curtiss P-40 Tomahawk

AJ Press/Monografie Lotnicze 64,65,66 - Curtiss P-40 cz1,2, and 3

Squadron/Signal Publications, Walkaround No8 Curtiss P-40 Warhawk

Squadron/Signal Publications, Aircraft No 26, Cutriss P-40 in Action

Histoire & Collections / Planes and Pilots Curtiss P-40 from 1939 to 1945

Ace Publication:Curtiss P-40 Warhawk

Kagero Publications: P-40 Rekiny pustyni (Tomasz Szlagor) I think its in Czech Language but has some english also. Great pics!!!!

Bunrin Do Famous Airplanes of the world  013 Curtiss P-40 Warhawk-Kittyhawk (1974)

Scale Aircraft Modelling: Combat Colours No 3, The Curtiss P-36 and P-40 in USAAC/USAAF Service from 1939 to 1945 (guideline Publications)

MBI: Curtiss P-40 (Vlastimil Ehrman, Valerij Roman)

In Detail and Scale Vol 61 : Y1P-36 to P-40C

In Detail and Scale Vol 62 : P-40D to XP-40Q

Kagero Publications: Monografie Curtiss P-40 Vol 1,2

Wydawnicto Militaria Curtiss P-40 Vol 1,2 (104 and 122)

Osprey Aircam Aviation Series No 6 -  Curtis Kittyhawk Mki-Iv  In RAF-SAAF-RAAF-RNZAF-RCAF-NEIAF Service

Osprey Aircam Aviation Series No 7 Curtiss P-40D-N Warhawk in USAAF-French and Foreign Service

Kookabura Technical Publications: The P-40 Kittyhawk in Service (Geoffrey Pentland)
Jim

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 07:56:28 AM »

I am sorry to be late with my reply, first I must thank you all for the excellent advice.
I now have a great list of books to hunt down and add to my collection.

Its great to see that there are folks here that really do appreciate what a tough and agile little plane the P40 was. Cool

I have always been full of admiration for this unsung hero of the sky, it was a godsend for us Brits in the desert campaign and without doubt made a major contribution to the victory.

Once again many thanks to for all the valuable information gentlemen , it will keep me quiet for a long while. Cheesy  
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: