P-40 Warhawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 01:47:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Allison Engine Overhaul Interval for flying hours?  (Read 6612 times)
ArmyAirCorpBrat

View Profile Email
« on: March 22, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »

In "normal" fighting  conditions, how many flying hours between overhauls?  And in dusty or sandy conditions, like in northern Africa, how was number of hours reduced between overhauls?  And how long did it take to overhaul an engine?Thanks, Dave Wallace
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 11:01:30 PM »

This doesn't answer your questions completely, but I found some numbers in the book, "Vee's For Victory:  The Story of the Allison V-1710 Aircraft Engine 1929-1948." 

The early V-1710-C15 engines were scheduled to undergo an overhaul after 200 hours of flight operations.   These were the engines used in the 'Tomahawks' of the AVG.  Apparently, none of those engines were changed for excessive operating time but instead lasted no longer than 150 hours before the plane was either shot-down, bombed on the ground, or became a source of spare parts.  (I'm basically paraphrasing a lot of information from the book).

AVG crew chief Frank Losonsky related that it took about two hours to pull an engine.  I'm assuming that you would have to at least double that time to completely replace an engine with a brand new one.  Obviously one would have to tack on time if the engine being pulled wasn't being replaced but instead repaired.

I thought I had more information and numbers to better answer your questions, but for the life of me I can't find them now.   Hope this little bit helps.

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: