P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 06:20:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 324th FG/315th FS P-40F...done!!  (Read 9135 times)
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2012, 12:17:45 PM »

Slowly working on an AMtech P-40F in the markings of "Ping-Pang," flown by 1LT Richard Conly of the 315th FS/324th FG.  The name and code letter/numbers were airbrushed, using custom-made Gator's Masks by Kenny Loup.  This is the first time I've used Kenny's masks and I'm sold; they worked flawlessly.  

On a side note, Mr. Conly told me a couple years back that he chose the name for his P-40 for the sound the engine made... Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 08:17:54 AM by Mark Joyce » Logged

Ignorance is bliss
Jim

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:17:20 AM »

Another excellent build in progress.

Flawless joint lines too and those masks have indeed worked out very well. Cool

He must have had a bad mis fire in his engine to call it Ping Pang. Cheesy

If I can find the patience I really must try to build myself a nice P40, the diecast P40s have sadly dried up now, I think I have all of them so it looks like the only way forward is to get back into kit building.

I just wonder whether my old eyes and shaking hands are up to the task.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:20:11 AM by Jim » Logged
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 05:09:59 AM »

very clean build so far.
Please keep us posted!
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:09:35 AM »

Thanks Vince!  Here she is with decals from the spares box.  I'm still trying to find the correct decal for Conly's victory, which was the Italian national insignia for the Macchi he shot down, but so far I've been unable to locate one.  I might just have to go with the Swastika victory marking, which was much more commonly used.  I have loads of those decals.

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 10:03:52 AM »

Those are some really nice markings, something different from what you normally see which is always nice to see.

I am working up reviews for Sky Models Decals P-40 decals in both 1/72 & 1/48, a huge amount of markings on each sheet for a good price!
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 08:25:35 AM »

My aim was to complete this build before the end of the year...fortunately the world didn't end last Friday as the Mayans predicted, otherwise I would have been out of luck!

Per Carl Molesworth's book, "P-40 Warhawk Aces of the MTO," the hubcaps were yellow and had beer steins painted on them.  Absent any photographs, I used a little imagination with my design.

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 03:28:43 PM »

Very nicely done!  Those are the most unique wheel covers I have seen.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: