P-40 Warhawk Forums
April 24, 2024, 04:01:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie sayin hello  (Read 5400 times)
liquorboxracing

View Profile Email
« on: October 19, 2012, 09:53:38 AM »

Hi everyone. Of lately my love for P-40's has been rekindled and I've become a p-40 nut again. I love these old warbirds! I recently introduced my two sons to scale modeling and got myself back into it as well. All that got the fires lit again, so now I have a closet full of model kits again, and the extra table in the kitchen has glue stuck to it. I chock it all up as quality time with the kids!  Smiley

Below is my latest P-40 build. I live 10 minutes from the National Museum of the United States Air Force, so I thought I would build a series of models of the planes on display in the Museum. This is the P-40E that was donated to the Museum by Capt. Chuck Doyle. It Painted to resemble the P-40 flown by Capt Bruce Holloway who was a pilot in the Flying Tigers as well as Army Air Forces 23rd Fighter Group. It'a 1/72 scale Acadamy P-40E kit. I made the radiator scoops from flat styren so they woere open and fitted Quickboost resin exhaust manifolds. I also added Eduard Photot etch gun sights. All else is box stock besides the decals which are from Barracuda Studios, and Micro Scale. The Numbers on the fusalage silvered for some reason. didn't see it till after they were dulcoated.

I have two more P-40's started. An Airfix P-40B, and an Academy P-40M. The B will be Lt George Welche's plane he flew on December 7th 1941, and the M will be one of my favorite Airshow planes campaigned by the American Air Power Museum in NY.
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 01:10:12 AM »

Looks really good.

P-40E is one of my favorite too.
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 09:23:19 PM »

Welcome aboard and nice job on the build Smiley!  Too bad about the silvering.  I had the same problem with the nose art on my last build so know the feeling.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your other P-40 models when you get them built!

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: