P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 09:24:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In memory and honor of Robert DeHaven, P-40 ace:  (Read 11406 times)
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2008, 02:22:47 AM »

I just learned that Robert DeHaven took his final flight this past week.  He was a 14 victory ace with the 49th Fighter Group, obtaining 10 of those victories in P-40s.  He later served as president of the American Fighter Aces Association.

In Eric Bergerud's book "Fire in the Sky:  The Air War in the South Pacific,"  Robert DeHaven had this to say about the P-40: "If you flew wisely, the P-40 was a very capable aircraft.  In many conditions it could outturn the P-38...The real problem with it was lack of range...So when I moved to P-38s, an excellent aircraft, I did so not because I believed that the P-40 was an inferior fighter but that I knew the P-38 would allow us to reach the enemy.  I was a fighter pilot and that was what I was supposed to do."

This is the 48th scale Eduard kit I built a few years ago in the markings of his last P-40, before transitioning to the P-38.  He chose the #13 for his assigned aircraft, believing it to be his lucky number, and usually had some form of an orchid as the nose art:

Godspeed, Mr. DeHaven,

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 07:02:06 AM »

Very sorry to hear of his passing, we are sure losing these guys at an alarming rate and it's only getting faster.  That's a very nice model and a great tribute to him.
Johnny Signor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 02:57:12 AM »

Hi Mark,Really Great looking model there,you've got talent for sure!!!! Hey I've got a question for ya,I have seen a photo of Robert dehaven's P-38 and on the left engine cowling(If sitting in ac) there is painted the emblem for the 49th Fighter squadron,a devil's face between the center of a P-38 top view,I know the 49th was with the the 14th Fighter Group and he wasn't with thias Group,would you have any guesses as to what he was doing with this P-38?Huh  Contact me please at my e mail ,thanks!!!    Johnny Signor
WeBeEmblems@aol.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: