P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 09:51:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help need with P-40N wheel reference?  (Read 6853 times)
Derek B

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2013, 09:44:04 PM »

Hi All,

I could do with a little assistance with the Curtiss P-40N wheel hub. I am in the process of mastering a new wheel hub and tyres for the Hasegawa 1/32 P-40N kit (or an early P-40N if you want to convert a P-40M).

I need to understand what can be viewed through the wheel hub spokes? There is not a lot out there on the internet and as far as I can gather, the P-40's used drum brakes for stopping, so I am assuming that there would be some kind of drum brake visible through the spokes?

If anyone has that one 'money shot' of this area, or any technical specification information that may point to what type of brakes were actually fitted to the P-40N wheels, that would be great as it would enable me to complete the masters without too much guess work going on.

Many thanks

Derek

Derek Bradshaw
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 03:11:50 AM »

Derek,

This is the best I can find.  It's from "P-40 Warhawk in detail" and appears to be from a museum specimen.  Hope it helps a bit.  I can provide a higher resolution scan if needed:

Ignorance is bliss
Derek B

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 06:01:28 PM »

Derek,

This is the best I can find.  It's from "P-40 Warhawk in detail" and appears to be from a museum specimen.  Hope it helps a bit.  I can provide a higher resolution scan if needed:

Thanks Mark. I think that a higher res scan would be great as this is the best detailed shot I have seen so far and tends to back up my theory as to how it is designed.

Many thanks

Derek

Derek Bradshaw
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:22:20 AM »

Here's a thread with some restoration photos, I think at least one of the photos might show the back of the wheel, don't know if it would help you or not.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2402435/1
Derek B

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 08:08:13 PM »

Here's a thread with some restoration photos, I think at least one of the photos might show the back of the wheel, don't know if it would help you or not.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2402435/1

Great pictures Mark  Smiley

I think that they may be the P-51 types wheels, however, I did like the structural aspects of the wing.

BTW, it looks like Hasegawa are re-releasing the 1/32 P-40N kit (Parrot nose markings), which is good as I am developing a range of AM stuff for this mark of Warhawk.

Cheers

Derek

Derek Bradshaw
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: