P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 05:53:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Propeller question  (Read 5662 times)
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: September 13, 2012, 06:29:05 AM »

I received an e-mail and part of it was a question on propellers and I wasn't completely sure about the answer so I thought I would post a question here for you guys.

I have also two question about propellers used on P-40s (D-N variants):

From photos it is evident, that at least two types were used: one narrow with more pointed tip, and other more rectangular with rounded tip (mostly on N, but also some F,K,L,M series). This is not mentioned in the popular literature on P-40. I would like to know of what types (manufacturers ) they were and if there were any rules of application?
GatorDude

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:24:01 PM »

I'm bumping this topic with an additional question.  What is the propeller of a P-40 made of?
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 11:59:55 AM »

As to what the propellers were made of, I believe they were hollow steel.  Here's a link to learn everything there is to know about their construction:

http://www.enginehistory.org/Convention/2005/Presentations/FeyTom/P08%20Curtiss%20Electric.pdf

As to the two types; yes, this appears the case although I too haven't seen it described in very much detail.  In the book, "Flying American Combat Aircraft of WWII," Bruce Holloway of the 23rd FG mentions that the P-40M and N models were fitted with a paddle-blade propeller instead of the previously used "streamlined" (his word) one in an effort to improve climb and altitude ratings.

I assume both types were manufactured by Curtiss (Curtiss Electric).  Hopefully someone else has a definite answer.

Ignorance is bliss
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: