P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 06:15:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 Sqn RAAF Kittyhawk "Snifter"  (Read 6932 times)
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2013, 09:59:02 AM »

Just finished this one, the 48th scale ESCI kit which is a re-boxing of the old Otaki mold.  Although an easy, rather painless build, someone looking to build a truly accurate P-40 might want to pass on it.  It has some inaccuracies and is lacking detail, although most these issues can be corrected one way or another.  However, rivet-counters say the leading wing edges are swept-back too much.  This is probably the case, although if no one had mentioned it I would be none the wiser.

Anyway, the reason for this build was to practice my skill at airbrushing the camouflage freehand, so I built the kit OOB.  The decals are from several aftermarket companies; the nose art and code letters are from Aero Imageworks.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:53:11 AM »

Mark that looks nice.
Your subtle weathering stands out!

I did a highly worked-over version of the Otaki kit back in the late 80s when I was in high school.
As you recall it was probably one of the best available at that time.
I sent a photo of it to Finescale Modeler magazine and they printed it in the reader gallery!!!
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »

Thanks Vince!

Although you're showing your age with your post, I still have you beat!   I don't have that issue of Finescale Modeler.  Is it the model you posted previously here?  If so do you have any additional pictures of it?

Mark
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:30:58 PM by Mark Joyce » Logged

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 05:11:59 AM »

Here's a shot of it.
I thought the landing gear legs were too long so I shortened them a bit...hope not too much.
Also, I used prop blades from an old Monogram P-38.  I thought they were better and I was right.
Also used brass tubing for the exhausts.
The spinner was reshaped a bit and the canopy vacuformed.
Pretty good for a high school kid, eh?
Well... I really loved the P-40 and still do...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: