P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 09:28:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Hasegawa 32nd P-40N-finished  (Read 26085 times)
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2013, 05:59:01 AM »

My latest P-40 build, the Hasegawa 32nd scale P-40N.  It's much the same as its 48th scale cousin, except due to its larger size there is more time and effort involved in ridding the build of the seams from those plugs and inserts.  Most troublesome, for me at least, was the clear insert for the rear canopy glass.  The fit was close but not exact, and care had to be taken so as not to lose the surrounding detail.  Here it is after a primer coat of Mr. Surfacer 1000:

The markings for this P-40N requite it to be painted OD/NG with white leading wing edges and tail.  Floquil Reefer White is used for the white and White Ensign Models (WEM) the OD and NG.  Here it is after the white has been painted and masked, then the NG undersides painted prior to any fading and weathering:

And here's the topside showing the preshading prior to application of the OD:

That's it for now.  Hopefully another update soon.

Thanks for looking!

Mark
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:10:44 AM by Mark Joyce » Logged

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 06:29:38 AM »

Nice project, Mark.
The color on my monitor shows your Mr. Surfacer as pink.  I thought you were doing a desert pink version.
Looks like a 49th FG scheme?

I sooooo want to spend time at my workbench but with a career wife and young kids, there is just no time....

Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 08:46:27 AM »

Thanks Vince,

You might notice that the background color of the first two photos is different than the last two.  I think this is due to the flash being used on the latter two but not the first two, and might be the reason for the pink hue. 

I have the same issues as you about getting to the workbench, and projects go in spurts!

And, by the way, not 49th FG markings.  I'll leave it at that for now! Smiley

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 03:46:14 AM »

I have a model of John Waddy's P-40N in 1/72.
He had a white tail and leading edges too.
The paint was RAF dark green or Foliage green.
Is that what you're making?
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »

I have a model of John Waddy's P-40N in 1/72.
He had a white tail and leading edges too.
The paint was RAF dark green or Foliage green.
Is that what you're making?
Nice guess, Vince, but not Waddy's P-40.  The decals for mine are in the works by someone other than me, so I'm tight-lipped to the exact markings.  Hopefully soon, though!

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 11:22:59 AM »

Build is looking really good so far, can't wait to see its markings.

I really have to start working on a P-40 one of these days, but like you guys, time seems to be so hard to come by.  I did pick up an Airfix P-40B at a show to do a review on and later picked up a set of early American markings to review, might have to do that one as a simple OOB, eyesight isn't getting any better and neither are the steady hands to do even any kind of detailed painting in a 1/72 cockpit! Sad
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 02:32:08 AM »

Build is looking really good so far, can't wait to see its markings.

I really have to start working on a P-40 one of these days, but like you guys, time seems to be so hard to come by.  I did pick up an Airfix P-40B at a show to do a review on and later picked up a set of early American markings to review, might have to do that one as a simple OOB, eyesight isn't getting any better and neither are the steady hands to do even any kind of detailed painting in a 1/72 cockpit! Sad

Thanks, Brad.  I have the Airfix too and like you will probably due it OOB, although I haven't decided on markings yet.

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 09:22:14 PM »

Any progress pics?

As far as myself, no P-40 work going on.
However, I have had a little time working with my hands.
I've been helping my son do his pinewood derby car for the cub scouts.
I have built a "parent" car just for show and have had a lot of fun.
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 07:33:06 AM »

Hi Vince,

Thanks for the interest.  Unfortunately my progress has been slower than hoped for the usual, mundane reasons.  However, I did get a bit of work in last weekend, getting those Medium Green splotches on the OD that I had applied perhaps over the Christmas holiday:

The fading is a bit starker than I want, and I plan on "misting" a highly-thin coat of some yet-to-be-decided color to blend things in a bit.

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 04:42:29 AM »

Mark,

The medium green dappled camo was characteristic of US P-40M and P-40N.
So, I'm pretty sure your markings are for a US aircraft and not a RAF or Commonwealth bird.
I'll figure it out perhaps!

Vince    Wink
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 11:35:18 AM »

Wow, but that white is stark! Cool I'll need to tone it down a bit once I do the final weathering.  You might notice the white overspray along the leading wing edges.  This was, actually, intentional.  I had noticed an odd discoloration in photographs of this squadron's P-40s, and a reliable, highly informed source advised me that it was due to the edges being taped off when the white was sprayed on, with some overspray being a result.

Anyway, not the best of photos but here it is with all major colors on.  I toned down the fading a bit and will do more after decaling.  I have some touch-ups and other minor painting to do, but the project is basically on hold until the decals are done.  That part is out of my hands, so I have no firm estimate when they will be available.

Ignorance is bliss
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 12:54:29 PM »

I won't go into the details, but it's been a long and torturous odyssey with the decals for this P-40.  But, most are finally on so I feel it's necessary to post a quick photo...

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 04:29:47 PM »

It's coming along great & looking good!
Jim

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 06:59:26 AM »

I am green with envy, that is going to be a beauty.

Shame there is no P40N's in diecast, (except maybe IXO), 1/32 scale allows the aggressive look of the P40 to really show.

Good things are always worth waiting for, excellent work sir.

From a Limey that appreciates just how great an aircraft the P40 was, (mid east campaign anyone).
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 04:01:46 AM »

Looks great and worth the wait!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: