P-40 Warhawk Forums
April 20, 2024, 04:26:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: P-40 tool question  (Read 5645 times)
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: December 17, 2013, 06:46:04 PM »

I received this e-mail inquiry on the use of this tool.  I haven't seen it before, if anyone can help, please post here or e-mail Jim.

The attached pic is a tool we found in dad's barn several years ago. The inscription stamped in the handle reads "P-40 rear gun post".  I have no idea where he got it, dad was a farmer all his life and knew nothing of aviation. He may have bought it at a farm auction or someplace, maybe it fit a hard to reach bolt on his hay baler, who knows. I thought maybe you or someone in your group could help me identify it.
Thanks, Jim
--
Jim Sackett
olpirat62@gmail.com
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:50:50 PM by P-40 Admin » Logged
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 09:53:25 AM »

My best guess is a wrench specially made to tighten/loosen and/or adjust the rear post gun sight for the P-40.  Anyone who has worked on a car knows how engineers love to design things for which only a specially-made tool will work!

Ignorance is bliss
Jim

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 01:48:51 AM »

Interesting, its what is known this side of the pond as "a thing of purpose"!

I have working in engineering all my life and have often adapted tools to help get into hard to reach places, that said this tool looks like a purpose built wrench, probably by Curtis.

In any case its a cool thing to own, anything with P40 stamped on it has to be cool. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: