P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 05:20:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Serial numbers for P40 K-1 in the 49th FG  (Read 9597 times)
CaptWhiz

View Profile Email
« on: November 27, 2013, 06:14:24 AM »

I am looking for serial numbers for P40 K-1 assigned to the 49th FG. MY wife's uncle (Lt. Richard H. Dennis) went MIA on a flight to Cape Ward Hunt on Dec. 18, 1942. According to his flight log, he was flying a P40K but I cannot  find any reference to which plane he was flying.  I have checked in Protect an Avenge by Ferguson and could not  find anything.  There are several pictures of Lt Dennis in this book. One photo show Lt. Richard standing by his plane with two dice  (snake eyes) for the two planes he shot down.  He later added  a third plane and changed the name to  Acey Duecy (I think)

The 8th FS started getting P40K's(from the 7th FS and 9th FS) to replace the p40E in December of 42. P38's were just starting to become operational at this time. 

If a list of serial numbers exists, is there anyway to correlate the two digit numbers which were painted on aircraft  at that time.  I have gone through Joe Baughers list of serial numbers and found several references to P40k in New Guinea in the 49th  but the dates of accidents/crashes were either before or after Dec. 18  So no luck there. 

Any help/insights you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Capt Whiz
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »

Your best bet might be the Pacific Wrecks Forum.  Here's a post I found regarding Lt. Dennis, although no serial number is mentioned:

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4232&sid=3522aaab4ceab695cee2245f688fea3b

Unfortunately there aren't too many 49th FG veterans still with us.  I just found out that 7th FS pilot Ray Melikian passed away earlier this month Sad

Ignorance is bliss
CaptWhiz

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »

I look at Pacific Wrecks almost daily.   I also check with Army Air Force site periodically.  I have request in to National  Air and Space Museum reference desk to see if they can find any Aircraft Record Cards to help narrow the search down a little bit. My hope is that if I can identify the serial number and that plane has already been discovered then possibly Lt Dennis's remains may also have been discovered and just not linked to anyone.  My wife submitted a DNA sample to JPAC to see if there is a match to their data base.
Sorry to hear about Ray's passing.   Any idea if his family has any written material or photos from  his time with the 49th?

Thanks again

Capt Whiz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: