P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 06:03:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bronco 1/48 P-40C (Hawk 81-A2) review  (Read 4794 times)
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:50:16 AM »

http://www.hyperscale.com/2016/reviews/kits/broncofb4006reviewbg_1.htm
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 11:09:56 AM »

I had just logged on to provide this link for the review by Brett Green and saw Brad already has done so.

I must admit, from Brett's review, that I am disappointed with Bronco's kit.  I can understand "accuracy" issues, in regards to getting the proportions and shape completely accurate.  Photographs and drawings can be misleading, and there aren't a whole lot of Tomahawks remaining out there to go and measure.  But the fact that Bronco completely screwed up the cockpit, exactly as Trumpeter did, is in my opinion completely inexcusable.  Trumpeter's truncated cockpit has been an issue on modeling forums since Day One of its release (and rightly so), and for Bronco to have not been aware of this in our modern age is mind-boggling. 

So, I for one will pass on Bronco.  From what I've seen, it's not an inexpensive kit, not to mention having to spend even more for a decent aftermarket cockpit.  Instead I will await Airfix's release, hopefully later this year, which I have not doubt will be a better kit for less cost.

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 06:00:11 AM »

Completely agree, it's inexcusable for Bronco to screw up the cockpit like that just like Trumpeter did 10 years ago and later with their 1/48 version.

I've never been big on placing a model over plans unless it shows massive shape issues, who knows if those drawings are accurate, most of the P-40 drawings I have differ. But shape issues on things like the canopy where there is so much photo documentation is also inexcusable.

It also looks like the wheel discs are way too large.

It's not a cheap kit, and you could easily double it with aftermarket items. I will also be passing on this one and will wait and see what the Trumpeter & Airfix look like as well as their price. The Monogram kit with an aftermarket cockpit like the True Details would be a much better & cheaper option than the Bronco.
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 07:59:11 AM »

MSRP of $59.69, crazy!  Shocked
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: