P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 19, 2024, 02:26:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: 1:48 Mauve P-40N "Lope's Hope"  (Read 56152 times)
Vince_M

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2017, 12:04:32 AM »

Hi all,

I'm a slow model builder but am enjoying this 1/48 Mauve P-40N.
The Hasegawa kit is nicer and has fewer flaws to fix; however, this Mauve kit is very nice and will end up looking very good.

I have the True Details resin cockpit upgrade and it is one of their best.  It will fit perfectly.
I also have some metal cockpit sills and that should look good because I plan to have the canopy slid open.
True Details wheels with open spokes will be used but it's an older version where the flattened look is over done making the tires look flat in a way.

I have started on the propeller blades.  I'm picky and have found the Curtiss Electric blades from the old Monogram P-38 kit are best.
So, I have used some old mold rubber to cast copies and that is going well.
It's a one piece mold so some come out with bubbles....about 50%.  However I got four good blades out before one copy broke off inside the mold...due to a bubble I didn't get out.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 12:10:27 AM by Vince_M » Logged
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 12:07:41 AM »

I'm also experimenting with the cockpit paint.
The top is Model Master Acryl interior green and bottom is Humbrol bronze green.
I think the Humbrol is more authentic to the P-40 don't you?

Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 12:45:44 AM »

Hi Vince,

Glad to see that you are able to get some time in for modeling! I too am a slow builder so can relate.

I also like the Mauve kit, actually finding it an easier build than the Hasegawa one.  My only complaint is the dark color of the plastic, mainly because I am so used to working with grey.  

Nice work on the propeller blades.  I hadn't thought about using blades from another airplane, which is a great idea, and have simply sanded the kit ones into a more reasonable shape.

Sorry I can't help much with the interior colors.  I'm partially colorblind so you probably don't want to ask my opinion!

By the way, I'm also planning on using the Mauve (or Eduard) kit for Lope's Hope sometime in the future,

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 09:46:10 PM »

Thanks Mark

I am very picky about the prop. Perhaps because the P40 nose is so prominent.

Almost all kits have inaccurate props. Most of them don't put in any twist along the length.  Do I sound like an aeronautical engineer?  Well I am.  LOL!

Anyhow. That guy that did the old Monogram P-38 nailed it. I use them on any Allison model I do including a P-51A that I have not finished.
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 08:12:03 AM »

Nice work on the prop! I like the darker green
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 01:10:25 PM »

I took three good resin prop blade castings and have primed them with Krylon Matte Aluminum.
The subsequent black on the back of the blade will be rubbed down to simulate the actual paint being worn off.

Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 02:18:47 AM »

My only complaint is the dark color of the plastic, mainly because I am so used to working with grey.  

Mark

Mark,
I have a Mauve Kittyhawk MkIII kit in which the base plastic is a tan color (subject is a RAF desert scheme).
Perhaps you could pick up one of those on eBay and get rid of dark plastic issues.
Vince
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 03:52:14 AM »

I need to add a receiving tube for my prop/brass rod set up.

First temporarily join spinner to one fuselage half like so:

Then use a bit of nylon thread to ensure perfect left/right alignment of tube:

Now, I have gently laid some bits of sprue on the "ass" end of the tube.  They have been set with gap filling superglue and I had to dab, gently, some accelerator:

Here I have slopped on some 30 minute clear epoxy.  Note I have added a peg to the front end of the tube but it is only glued to the fuselage at this time and NOT the tube.

I'll explain why later:

Here is a view of the epoxy setting up.  Five minute epoxy would have been better.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:02:32 AM by Vince_M » Logged
Jim

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 08:07:02 AM »

outstanding work sir, great attention to detail and yes the darker green is better.

Nothing better than a well built P40, I look forward to watching the progress of the model.
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 05:24:11 AM »

This is coming along nicely!  Smiley

I like the Krylon on the propeller blades, at least from your pictures it looks better than the number of the chrome paints used on cars. Is it pretty fragile like a lot of the metal paints or is it relatively tough?
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 12:24:56 AM »

Actually the Krylon holds up well to some light handling.
Over time it loses its luster but most models are not handled that much.

I ruined my silver blades...

I had a very old can of Testors yellow that I sprayed on the tips of each blade.
It reacted badly with the silver and I had to strip those parts.

I'll present a photo soon showing the completed prop/spinner unit.
It should be done soon I hope.
Jim

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 12:08:53 AM »

Delicate work for sure but the end result is going to be something special, I am enjoying every stage of this build.
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 12:34:35 PM »

Some progress has happened.  Done with the prop so I'm working my way front to back I guess!

Have I gone off my rocker?  LOL!

OK, that's better

This is a prop jig I made many years ago.  Still works well!

I will say that this is a great read and has inspired me on this model.
I had always thought less of the USAAC group that followed the Flying Tigers.
Why?  Well I guess I didn't think of them as the Flying Tigers.
Well, no more.  These guys and their trusty P-40s fought HARD!
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 02:07:26 PM »

Love that paint technique  Smiley
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 10:36:09 PM »

It's coming along nicely, Vince.  Yes, "Into the Teeth of the Tiger" is an outstanding book.  I read elsewhere that Don Lopez preferred the P-40 over the P-51 (at least its early versions, IIRC) for combat in the CBI.

Ignorance is bliss
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: