P-40 Warhawk Forums
December 10, 2018, 10:48:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 316th FS/324th FG P-40F started  (Read 462 times)
Mark Joyce
Full Member
***
Posts: 219



View Profile
« on: September 02, 2018, 11:11:41 PM »

I decided it was time I started work on a P-40 from the 316th Fighter Squadron, since I've already done one each from the other two squadrons of the 324th Fighter Group, so I broke out an AMtech kit with the resin nose.  I also had a Cutting Edge P-40F/L cockpit laying around, which was specifically made for this kit.  Too bad Meteor/Cutting Edge is no longer in business (although it's my understanding that its owner, David Klaus, now operates The Fine Art of Decals website) since this replacement resin cockpit is nicely detailed and fits wonderfully.  Unfortunately, I've had this cockpit for some time and at one point long ago, I apparently damaged the seat while removing it from the resin stub, so I've replaced the replacement with an Ultracast one.  Here it is, about ready to go all together (although the seat is sitting a little cockeyed in the tub, since I just temporarily sat it there for the photograph), with the front of the fuselage halves removed for ultimate placement of the resin nose:

Logged

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M
Full Member
***
Posts: 148


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 10:59:16 PM »

Great start!
Logged
Mark Joyce
Full Member
***
Posts: 219



View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 10:50:23 PM »

Great start!

Thanks Vince!  Unfortunately I've been busy and my limited modeling time has been spent trying to finish up another major project, so haven't made any progress on this since posting this picture.

Mark
Logged

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator
Full Member
*****
Posts: 197



View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 04:43:47 PM »

Nice start on the cockpit!

Just found a couple AMTech P-40's I had well along and then put away, starting those up again. Also tried the Airfix 1/48 P-40 but gave up and will use it as a test bed, some of it was nice, other some weird engineering and did not go together well for me.
Logged
Mark Joyce
Full Member
***
Posts: 219



View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 12:03:49 PM »

It's been awhile but I've finally able to get some more work done on the kit.  Following the carpenter's adage, "measure twice and cut once," I removed the front of the fuselage halves using a fine saw to make room for the replacement resin nose.  Once done I glued the halves together.  Fit was generally good, but having built at least a dozen of the AMtech kits (or its clones) over the years I've come to know what to expect and had no unexpected surprises.  I also took this opportunity to clean up the seams, knowing it would be easier now rather than later.  One thing I've learned with these resin noses, especially since Cutting edge has you remove material on the 'coaming' (as the instructions refer to it) to make room for the gunsight, there's not much contact area for the upper fuselage halves where the nose inserts.  As a result I've added a thin strip of sheet styrene to the interior area, making sure it's far enough aft to not interfere with placement of the resin nose.

Upper and lower wings were glued together then the whole wing unit was glued to the fuselage, using some tape that went from one wingtip over the top of the fuselage to the other wingtip, which not only helped in getting some semblance of proper dihedral but also prevented any wing root gaps.  The seam between the upper and lower wings was then worked on, along with drilling out the gun barrels and the vent holes, with final touches to be done once the resin nose is glued into place.  Temporary placement of the nose in the fuselage shows a pretty decent fit, although there's a bit of a horizontal gap that will need to be dealt with.

You might notice a bit of styrene at the rear of the exhaust opening.  The resin nose has the "scallop" here, which was present for the tubular exhausts but not for the flared ones, which most P-40s from the long-tail F onward had.  I also used pinpricks of superglue to fill the openings in front of the exhausts.  For the life of me I have no idea why those are present, except perhaps as some sort of imitation of the perforated grill found on the M and N models.

TIA,

Mark






Logged

Ignorance is bliss
Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!