P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 24, 2019, 04:38:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1:48 Mauve P-40N "Lope's Hope"  (Read 7592 times)
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2019, 01:53:26 AM »

Mark, thanks for the advice.

I'm experimenting on the bottom of the plane first.  I may try some Future under the decal to help with silvering.
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2019, 12:16:33 PM »

I was procrastinating putting on the shark mouth decal and for good reason. It was very difficult to position and broke right at the upper corner. It will take more decal solvent but it should lay down. I didnít want to have to paint to fix it but I will have to. Oh well. Lots of difficult curves in that area.
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2019, 12:01:15 PM »

Rainy days, Mondays, and Shark Mouth Decals always get me down....

I dreaded this for so long.  Actually this is before Solvaset Decal solvent which works miracles with repeat application.
No doubt I see red, black, and white paint as well as an art brush in my future too.
Just wish I still had those young eyes!

Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2019, 10:04:40 PM »

Ouch, Vince, I feel your pain!  Hopefully the Solvaset worked its wonders.  I had to use some on my current build to get the decals to really lay down in the panel lines.  That's hot stuff and it slightly melted one of the stars on the wings, which was I believe an old Superscale spare I had to use.  Fortunately most of the damage should be hidden once I complete the weathering.

I think I've had one problem or another with every sharkmouth I've used; sometimes I'm lucky and the issues are minor but other times not.  Where you able to salvage the missing section under the spinner, or do you have to repaint it?  I've had to do my share of touch-ups over the years.

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2019, 01:20:55 AM »

Yeah Mark, I tried leaving that piece under the spinner attached when I did the port side, first.
It was just too hard to line it all up and was a big mess.  So the side you see here, starboard, I decided to get ahead of it and cut it.. to be added last.
Solvaset it awesome but really "hot".  I have a small amount set aside and cut with some water to tone the power down a bit.

The port side is looking better with these large wrinkles.  They are nearly gone!

I just lament having to paint touch-up around the spinner and intake corners.  Hopefully, white paint will match white on decal...
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2019, 08:58:12 PM »

Solvaset is quite the miracle fluid.  After several applications, the wrinkles are almost gone!  It just takes patience.
Also it is so "hot" you have to avoid brushing over it too many times.  Just put it on...and wait.  
Note that I also have a small vial of Solvaset/water mix.  This mix is less caustic and is good for very thin decals.

Touch up with paint will
still be required.  This is one reason I will think twice about doing another shark decal unless it is included in the kit.
The Eagle Strike sheet was made for Mauve or AMT but that means it is not a perfect fit for either!

All of this is telling me that it would have been impossible to finish for the contest due to the decal step taking so long.
I mixed my paint with Future which made it very tough and partially shiny.  So, I skipped adding a gloss coat for decals.
I think I'll never do that again because I'm having to fight a lot of "silvering" with repeat applications of solvent...

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 09:02:26 PM by Vince_M » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: