P-40 Warhawk Forums
May 21, 2019, 06:37:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1:48 Mauve P-40N "Lope's Hope"  (Read 9147 times)
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2019, 12:00:46 PM »

It's hard to find time to work but I'm getting close!
This is photo of the little rudder hinge piece.  It's still unpainted in this shot.
The kit part was poor and the photoetch I have for the project for some reason did not have one.
So I made it out of styrene.  First try broke in my clumsy hands.  My eyesight is becoming a real difficulty and I can see why a lot of guys head towards larger scales as time passes.

Here is a shot of some weathering with oil paints.  The acrylic clear coat I'm using on top of this really does not like the oil but a second light coat gets it done.  Perhaps an oil based top coat would have worked better like Testor's Dull Cote.  That is one reason this has taken time is I have been experimenting with different paints.  Someone recently stated on FaceBook that model building and painting is like a bit chemistry experiment!

Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2019, 10:23:29 PM »

Nice job on the hinge!  I too have scratch-built a couple in my time, but mine don't come out nearly as nice as yours.  I'm happy just to get some resemblance of a loop. The wash looks great as well.  What do you use for your oils?

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2019, 11:18:19 PM »

Mark,  I use tubes of oil paint I get at the art supply store.
You place it on cardboard for a while to get excess oil to wick out.
Then dab it on the model and use a "mop" brush to blend.
Oil paint can be infinitely blended so you just stop when you are happy.
It is fragile and takes days to dry though.  So there is that...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: