P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 01:30:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Charlie Bond's AVG P-40 Tomahawk  (Read 4669 times)
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2017, 10:31:18 PM »

This is the Academy kit, started nearly 20 years ago as a tribute to AVG member Charlie Bond, who I sat next to at a fundraising event for the documentary "Fei Hu: The Story of the Flying Tigers," but which I set aside once I learned of the dreaded accuracy issues with the kit.  Recently I decided it still looked enough like a Tomahawk in my eyes that it was about time I finished it.  I recall using the Cutting Edge cockpit and decal set along with the Eduard flaps, but I think everything else is OOB.  20 years is a long time to remember these details!  Also, this is my first use of the Imgur photo hosting site since Photobucket now charges several hundred dollars a year....

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 10:35:31 PM »

Looks great and kudos on staying with it completion!

I can relate as I also have a Allison powered Mustang kit I started over 20 years ago that is still on the shelf of Doom....
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 09:40:11 PM »

That looks great!

Photobucket  Shocked

John Congo Conklin

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 06:37:08 AM »

What model series would you recommend for a "novice" in today's high-tech world of model building. When I was in Jr. High school (1950's era) I built balsa wood models, Strombecker kits. Now that I am retired, I'd like to start again. The P-40, P-47 and the P-51 were my favorites then, and still are today. Thanks- "Congo"..

" Gosh, Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas now"!!
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 01:49:05 AM »

Congo,
If you are getting back into it, I recommend the new Airfix kits.  They are not very expensive and the are a lot of fun to build.
I did the 1/72 P-51D and had a blast.
The recent 1/48 P-40B is quite accurate.
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 06:43:10 AM »

Are you interested in plastic or balsa? In balsa, Guillow's has two different sizes, they are okay shape wise. John Bell made a very nice kit, I saw it's available again through I believe Penn Valley Hobbies (I think that's their name?), The plans can also be found online for free.

In plastic, depends which scale you are interested in, I don't know much about the 1/72 scale kits, in 1/32, there's the ancient Revell which has an accurate outline that you would have to scratch build the interior and wheel wells, Trumpeter has one with a few noticeable accuracy errors, Hasegawa came out with a number of different ones, but they are relatively expensive on eBay. In 1/48 scale there are quite a number, Hasegawa has one or a couple nice ones, AMT made some that were nice for their day and hold up locate today, AMTech reissued those under their own label, one of them had a resin nose upgrade and the other a resin tail, they can still be found on eBay. Mauve made one that wasn't too bad. True Details made, or still makes a resin interior, the last time I looked it was reasonably priced on eBay.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: