P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 04:05:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paint for RAAF P-40E (Kittyhawk 1a)  (Read 5835 times)
xray4277

View Profile Email
« on: September 03, 2019, 05:25:37 AM »

OK, anyone who has read my other posts will already know that (a) I'm not a stickler for absolute accuracy and (b) I like to use Tamiya paints. So does anyone have any suggestions for foliage green, earth brown and sky to do an RAAF P-40? I believe that foliage green was darker than RAF dark green for example? And the sky undersides were more of a grey than RAF sky, which was quite a greeny-grey?

For RAF I use XF81 (dark green), XF52 (dark earth) and XF21 (sky). I'm thinking XF26 deep green for the foliage green. As I say, I'm not a fanatic about colours, if they look about right on the model that'll do for me. I just finished a 1/72 Wildcat using XF18 and XF19 for the standard two-colour US Navy scheme and to my eyes it looks good. Purists would no doubt say otherwise!!!

The two most important things to remember about flying...(1) number of landings should equal number of take-offs, and (2) if you run out of airspeed, altitude & ideas all at the same time, you've crashed...
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 04:07:55 AM »

Weren't the camo versions that the Aussies used in the standard dark earth, dark green, sky grey?
By standard I mean using US DuPont equivalents.  Look at what Mark used in the next thread for his Special Hobby kit and those colors look pretty good.
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 06:52:12 AM »

As Vince said, I believe that the RAAF P-40E-1/Kittyhawk Mk.1As were painted in the DuPont equivalents of dark earth and dark green over some color with the word "sky" in it.  There's a lot of heated debate on the underside color but the general consensus is that it was "sky grey," although I'm not saying that it's the correct color...whatever color it actually was.

I don't use Tamiya paints, and unfortunately the FineScale Modeler article from 1995 written by Dana Bell that I've used as a reference doesn't have equivalents for the DuPont dark earth or dark green in Tamiya. He does list Tamiya XF21 for RAF sky, although my understanding that he no longer believes this is the appropriate color. 

For what it's worth, here's a link to one article about foliage green, which appears to have come into play a bit later.  It has some other useful information as well so might be of help:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/viewtopic.php?f=149674&t=227552&p=2254203&hilit=raaf+foliage+green#p2254203

Ignorance is bliss
xray4277

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 11:20:37 PM »

Well after a long spell away from the modelling bench I have started on this kit. It goes together very nicely, hardly any gaps to fill. I found some very nice acrylics for the top colours which I think will look good, and will be using Tamiya sky grey for the underside.

The two most important things to remember about flying...(1) number of landings should equal number of take-offs, and (2) if you run out of airspeed, altitude & ideas all at the same time, you've crashed...
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 07:37:11 AM »

Hope you'll post some photos!

Ignorance is bliss
xray4277

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 11:03:01 PM »

I sure will. I'm putting the decals on just now but the ones that come with the kit are a bit rubbish! Fortunately I have a few Xtradecals spare which I can use to replace most of the Academy ones.

Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 10:49:24 PM »

I sure will. I'm putting the decals on just now but the ones that come with the kit are a bit rubbish! Fortunately I have a few Xtradecals spare which I can use to replace most of the Academy ones.

Academy decals are notoriously horrible.  I don't understand why it can't produce decent ones.

Ignorance is bliss
xray4277

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 11:16:40 PM »

I can't seem to get any photos to upload - getting a message telling me the upload folder is full. Any ideas anyone?

Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 09:18:26 AM »

I can't seem to get any photos to upload - getting a message telling me the upload folder is full. Any ideas anyone?
Have you tried a photo-hosting site, like Imgur (which I use for these forums)?  I've tried but never had any success in trying to load images directly here.

Ignorance is bliss
xray4277

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 11:36:25 PM »

Trying smaller files this time...

I built the kit pretty much out of the box - added brake pipes to the undercarriage legs and made my own radio aerial. It's not a bad little kit really, but the next one I build...I'm painting the canopy parts first, I hate doing them!!!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 05:08:22 AM by xray4277 » Logged

Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 09:00:12 AM »

Looks good! Any chance of posting more photos of it?

I might have missed it, but which kit is it?

I don't care for dealing with canopies too, and will almost always use pre-cut masks when painting them if available.

Ignorance is bliss
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: