P-40 Warhawk Forums
April 25, 2024, 08:27:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Joe Griffin's 'Hellzapoppin'  (Read 6862 times)
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2008, 08:22:06 AM »

I barely finished this one in time for the P-40 aces symposium.  I posted one photo of it in the related topic but thought I'd post here as well.

This is the 48th scale AMtech P-40K in the markings of Joe Griffin's P-40, in which he gained three confirmed victories while flying with the 75th FS/23rd FG in China.  Mr. Griffin was one of the aces on the symposium's panel (he gained an additional four victories flying P-38s in the ETO), and I had a chance to show him this model.  He seemed to get a kick out of it.

The AMtech kit isn't bad, but it requires cutting off the styrene tail from the fuselage and inserting the resin tail.  You need to use a template to determine where to cut the fuselage, and for the life of me I can't seem to get a straight cut at exactly the right place (I've built two of these so far).  In addition, in my rush to finish this one I had to forgo some detailing and made some relatively minor construction mistakes.  One which you'll notice is the sharks mouth, which isn't flush with the front of the intake.  I did add an Ultracast seat and exhausts, and True Detail wheels.  Anyway, here it is:

Thanks for looking!

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 05:39:50 AM »

Great looking model!  I really like the subtle weathering, so many people go away overboard on that.
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 09:47:43 PM »

Great looking model!  I really like the subtle weathering, so many people go away overboard on that.

Thanks!  Weathering is probably the most subjective part of modeling and people have such strong feelings about it.  I agree that it's easy to overdo it.  I'm still a long ways from getting to the level of realism that so many other modelers have reached, but keep trying!

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: