P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 11:30:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: P-40E or P-40E-1?  (Read 6843 times)
Andrey Stan

View Profile Email
« on: September 14, 2019, 04:03:11 PM »

Hello gentlemen! Need help identifying a former American or British aircraft?
154th Fighter Regiment/29th Guards Fighter Regiment, Leningrad Front 1942-1943.
http://soviet-aces-1936-53.ru/abc/zh/zelenov_na.htm
1. Mirror in the cabin, not on top.
2. Which gunsight?
3. Non-standard paint scheme.
- is it possible to determine the modification by these criteria?
Sorry for my English, my native language is different...
Andrey Stan

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 04:04:05 PM »

more. is there any other examples of this painting?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 04:06:30 PM by Andrey Stan » Logged
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 11:06:04 AM »

Hello Andrey, and welcome!

I am not too familiar with the P-40s that ended up in the Soviet Union but will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

According to the Kagero book, "Curtiss P-40E/D, Kittyhawk MK I/IA" by Leszek A. Wieliczko and Tom Zmuda: "In RAF service they (the P-40E type aircraft provided under Lend-Lease) were known as Kittyhawk Mk. IA...while USAAF machines received the P-40E-1 designation...Kittyhawk Mk. IAs differed from American P-40Es in some configuration details: they featured a rear view mirror mounted externally (my italics) on the windshield frame.

So if I'm reading this correctly, yours would likely be a P-40E, but I myself am somewhat confused by the words.

I would not even want to guess about the colors, since it appears yours went through a repainting at some time.  Camouflaged P-40s were painted at the factory with masks so had a hard-edge demarcation line, whereas it appears yours doesn't necessarily have it.

Sorry, I've looked but have been unable to locate and further photographs or profiles.

I hope this helps at least a little,

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Andrey Stan

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 10:50:05 PM »

Thanks, Mark! P-40D/Kittyhawk MK.I was not sent to the USSR, only P-40E/Kittyhawk MK.IA.
I also decided that this is the P-40E. Because of the mirror.
The border color seems clear, is not it? Сompared. But there is no stencil line! And the question remains inverted camouflage scheme... Are there any other examples of such a color (DE/DG) change?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 11:14:50 PM by Andrey Stan » Logged
Andrey Stan

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 11:08:09 PM »

I have only one photo with Inverse color scheme. But this P-40K (Alaska, sending to the USSR), not P-40E/Kittyhawk!
Is the bottom here Neutral Gray, not "Sky"?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 11:18:50 PM by Andrey Stan » Logged
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 10:23:28 PM »

Hi Andrey,

Sorry for the delay in my response.  I was looking for an example of the inverted camouflage scheme you mentioned but, although I thought I have seen one in the past, was unable to locate any photos to confirm this.

It's my understanding that P-40s in the dark earth and dark green scheme were painted a "Sky" color underneath.  However, there seems to be quite a bit of disagreement over exactly which "Sky" color, whether one with a more bluish, or greenish, or greyish hue, although "Sky Grey" is often quoted.

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: