P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 01:51:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AMtech P-40E  (Read 4889 times)
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2020, 11:52:46 PM »

I've been cleaning out my display case, packing away some older models in order to make room for newer additions, and came across this one that I don't think I've posted here; at least, not since the transition to this forum's current format.

It's the old 48th scale AMtech P-40E kit, done in the markings of Andy Reynold from the 49th FG in early 1942. I built this one about 15 years ago and, for better or worse, it appears my modeling skills haven't changed much since then!

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 01:44:50 AM »

Very nice!
Those AmTech kits were pretty decent, weren't they?
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 07:36:02 AM »

That looks awesome! The weathering on it is so good, realistically subtle, seems like so many people nowadays way overdo it. I really need to get going on mine sometime, I've had the cockpit parts laid out to paint for quite a while, haven't made it there yet. Mostly been working on some balsa planes, a Guillow's Cherokee 140 and their 18 inch Camel, completely infilling the Cherokee to paint up as the plane my dad was part owner of when I was a kid. Also scratch building an unlimited hydroplane in 1/32 scale. Really need to pull that paint stand to the front of my desk  Smiley
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 12:49:54 AM »

Those AmTech kits were pretty decent, weren't they?
[/quote

That they were, and I actually find them more pleasurable to build than either the Mauve/Eduard or Hasegawa. 

Ignorance is bliss
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 12:57:05 AM »

That looks awesome! The weathering on it is so good, realistically subtle, seems like so many people nowadays way overdo it. I really need to get going on mine sometime, I've had the cockpit parts laid out to paint for quite a while, haven't made it there yet. Mostly been working on some balsa planes, a Guillow's Cherokee 140 and their 18 inch Camel, completely infilling the Cherokee to paint up as the plane my dad was part owner of when I was a kid. Also scratch building an unlimited hydroplane in 1/32 scale. Really need to pull that paint stand to the front of my desk  Smiley

Thanks for the kind comments on the weathering.  It seems like you have your hands full with your other projects, so it's easy to understand the lack of progress on your P-40!

It appears that the link to the old forum no longer works.  Since I can't remember what if any builds I posted back then, and seeing that I've taken new photos of all my old builds while cleaning out the display case, I guess I can take the opportunity to post some of those older models here.

Ignorance is bliss
xray4277

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 03:30:40 AM »

That does look good - and I agree with the others here who have praised the more subtle weathering. Very nice indeed. Must get started on my next P-40 kit...  Smiley

The two most important things to remember about flying...(1) number of landings should equal number of take-offs, and (2) if you run out of airspeed, altitude & ideas all at the same time, you've crashed...
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 07:51:02 AM »

Thanks for the kind comments on the weathering.  It seems like you have your hands full with your other projects, so it's easy to understand the lack of progress on your P-40!

It appears that the link to the old forum no longer works.  Since I can't remember what if any builds I posted back then, and seeing that I've taken new photos of all my old builds while cleaning out the display case, I guess I can take the opportunity to post some of those older models here.

I've mostly given up plastic models for a while, but I have two of the AMTech P-40's well along, I've had the cockpit parts stuck on a Tamiya turntable for painting for a while. Things haven't been going the greatest with the boat & Camel other than applying and sanding sanding sealer on the boat for what seems like forever. May have to paint up the cockpit parts for a bit of a break.

Plastic cements and solvents like in Bondo have really been bothering me for quite a while, health issues have only made it worse. For a while up and making my own filler out of Future and baby powder, sometimes I will add a couple drops of acrylic paint. Works great on plastic and wood, Sands as easy as Bondo and doesn't seem to be as soft as Bondo.

You're right, seems like that link finally died.
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 12:46:56 PM »

I can't blame you regarding the cements and solvents.  Add paints in that category as well.  I have my spray booth in the garage, but always wear a respirator when air-brushing and often when applying other products, such as Mr. Surfacer, by brush.  The fumes stink, and if you smell it then all those chemicals are getting in your lungs and beyond.  Not to mention the supply of latex gloves I keep handy. 

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 07:44:00 AM »

I had to give up on enamels and lacquers, mostly only use acrylics now, once in a blue moon some water colors or gouache for something. I was using some oil paints for some weathering with some of the odorless thinner, I even had to give that up as I would start getting a weird feeling all through my body and then start getting sick after just a little while, even with the window open and good ventilation.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: