P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 03:30:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 85th FS/79th FG P-40L started  (Read 4463 times)
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2020, 10:49:09 AM »

I actually started this build some time ago, using the 48th scale Eduard P-40M with the Aeromaster resin nose conversion for a P-40F/L, but put it on hold while deciding how to go about the markings.  

I knew what I wanted, but didn't have the decals for it.  I had taken some still shots from a video on You Tube, which was originally filmed in late Jan. '44 while the 79th FG was stationed at Capodichino Airdrome in Italy, supporting the Anzio invasion.  This is what I was eying, an 85th FS coded X15, seen behind X14.  Note what's possibly a white star on the hubcap and the individual standing on the wing by the cockpit:

Here's a close-up of the same side with likely that individual (crew chief?):

And its pilot, who looks from other photos I have to be Carl Stewart:

And the opposite side of this aircraft, in which you can just make out part of the name under the exhausts.  It appears to be the end of "Virginia," and by chance Carl Stewart, later as a captain, flew a P-47 named "West By Gawd Virginia" (Stewart was from West Virginia, by the way):

Here's a still from the video, which I believe is of this P-40L,  "West Try God Virginia"

Last but not least, the rudder art on this airplane.  "Butterfly Girl" appeared previously on an 85th FS P-40F, which was likely Joe Connelly's X31.  I believe Connelly had rotated back to the USA by this time, but obviously his rudder art was deemed too important for the military effort so had to stay overseas!

So I was in a dilemma, until I got into contact with Dave Kopielski at davidsscalemodels.com, who not only tackled the name of "West Try God Virginia" in decal form, but several other 85th FS P-40s that I was interested in.  Dave did an outstanding job on them, so I'm eager to get some builds going to put them to good use!

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 05:21:49 AM »

Cool markings, I haven't seen this version before.

I have the Eagle Strike decals for X 44 that has the same rudder art, I'm going to do my Amtech F in those markings.
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 08:06:35 AM »

Thanks.  I have those Eagle Strike decals too, and Kitsworld did it as well.  I've looked high and low but have never seen a photo of X44 with that rudder art, so I have no idea where Eagle Strike came up with it (I'm guessing that Kitsworld simply copied what Eagle Strike did).  Off the top of my head, this is the only photo I have of X44, taken from that same You Tube video; unfortunately, it's of the opposite side of the aircraft.  Not that it matters because the video and photos I've posted here show pretty conclusively that 'Butterfly Girl" was on X15 at this time:

There were likely previous P-40F/Ls coded X44 prior to this one, and I haven't gone through my 86th FS photos as thoroughly as my 85th FS ones to see what's there.
And here's a blurry enlargement of a photograph I have, which I believe shows X31 with what appears to have the outline of "Butterfly Girl" on the rudder.  Joe Connelly regularly flew X31 when this photo was taken, and I have another of him standing next to the rudder art.  He wasn't the only pilot who posed next to the artwork that adorned his plane!

Ignorance is bliss
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 08:17:38 AM »

Here are photos of the cockpit.  The Eduard boxing has quite a bit of photo-etch and I used most of it.  The cockpit was finished a couple of months ago, and the front of the fuselage was removed for the replacement resin nose at that time, but I didn't think of taking photos until now.  As can be seen, I'm trying to deal with the seams that occur when that rear canopy part is attached to the fuselage, and quite a bit of dust is accumulating in the cockpit from all the sanding, which I'll worry about later.

Now that I've caught up with the photos, don't expect more anytime soon as the build is going "real time" (i.e. slowly).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:31:30 AM by Mark Joyce » Logged

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 04:05:40 AM »

Cool!
Is that resin conversion for the Mauve still available anywhere?
I know AeroMaster has been gone for years..
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 07:26:24 AM »

It's been OOP for a long time and to the best of my knowledge no one else has released it.

Ignorance is bliss
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 05:01:06 AM »

Primer's on, although there are a couple of little areas I might still work on before moving to the paint shop.

I can't say I enjoy doing conversions.  This is at least the second one of these I've done, and I don't think it turned out as good as the other(s).  Note the noticeable hump on top, between the kit plastic and the resin nose.  I tried to level it the best I could between lots of sanding and putty, but this is probably the best I can do.  There are other issues with my rescribing and such, but hopefully once the paint and decals are on those won't stand out as much.  Hopefully...

I had to fill in the 'scallop' behind the exhausts and scratch-build the canopy rails, but decided to cut and trim the kit cowl flaps to fit the resin nose.  I also used Master barrels, as Vince did on his recent build of "Lope's Hope," but had already glued the wings together so couldn't utilize his good idea of gluing blocks inside to prevent them from accidentally being pushed inside the wings.  Hopefully I used enough superglue so that won't happen.

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 12:37:19 AM »

Looks great, Mark!

Grin
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 12:12:54 AM »

Finally finished this one, but with different markings than originally planned since I wasn't able to get those decals made. I also noticed after I had painted it that they wouldn't have worked anyways, because the camo scheme on that P-40L appears to be reversed from the standard.   However, I was able to get decals for "Blue Goose II", which is a P-40F from the 85th FS and flown by Lt. John G. Hoagland.  

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2023, 02:29:28 AM »

Looks great!
Love to see more Merlin Warhawk models getting built.
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2023, 06:12:09 PM »

Very nice, great job on it!
K.C. Hawk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2023, 05:52:07 AM »

The greatest of the P-40 ... F/L ... Eduard announced these versions as a new development in 1/48 scale!
The E version is to be released next year, followed by the F/L version...

P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2023, 05:34:10 AM »

Cool!
I know AeroMaster has been gone for years..

You could look on eBay. I got a couple of them from there although it's been a couple of years. Haven't looked for a while, I would usually look every few days or a week and see if it showed up.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: