P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 05:40:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New P 40 in scale from Italy  (Read 4310 times)
ENJOY

View Profile Email
« on: May 06, 2020, 06:56:44 PM »

Hello, I'm new to the forum, I started building a scale 70% P40 with an Italian project, unfortunately I still don't know the differences between a Kittyhawk and a Warhawk, potete aiutarmi?
grazie
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 10:41:37 PM »

Ciao, and welcome to the forum!  Kittyhawk and Warhawk are simply different names for Curtiss P-40.  The British and many of its dominions used the name "Kittyhawk" to refer to the P-40D through P-40N variants (the name "Tomahawk" was used for the earlier variants) whereas the United States used the name "Warhawk."

As I mention, the P-40 went through a number of different variants, each differing from the others in minor and/or major ways.  This website has a breakdown of each under the section "WW II Variants."

Ignorance is bliss
ENJOY

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 05:53:27 PM »

thanks for the explanation, I thought I saw in the photos the tail rudder with slightly different shapes.
I post the images as soon as possible
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 01:31:25 AM »

Some models of the "Kittyhawk" had a tail with the vertical surfaces moved back (longer tail).
ENJOY

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 02:18:56 PM »

thanks
xray4277

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 04:34:30 PM »

This might help. As previous posters have said, 'Kittyhawk' was the British name for all P-40 models from P40-D onwards. Edited to reflect Vince's comment below about the enlarged tail fin!

P40-D = Kittyhawk 1
P40-E = Kittyhawk 1a (the last batch of 500 had an enlarged tail fin)

P40-F = Kittyhawk 2 (most variants of the F had a longer fuselage)
P40-L = Kittyhawk 2a (all L variants had longer fuselage)

P40-K and P40-M = Kittyhawk 3 (early K variants had an enlarged tail fin, later K and all M variants had original tail fin but longer fuselage)

P40-N =Kittyhawk 4 (all N variants had original tail fin but longer fuselage, they also had a cut-down rear cockpit area for better rearward view)

D, E, K, M and N models had Allison engines
F and L models had Packard Merlin engines (slightly different cowling shape and no air intake on top of cowling)

There's tons of information and lots of drawing on this site in the 'Technical' section.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:55:47 PM by xray4277 » Logged

The two most important things to remember about flying...(1) number of landings should equal number of take-offs, and (2) if you run out of airspeed, altitude & ideas all at the same time, you've crashed...
ENJOY

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 06:07:40 PM »

wow!! Very precise thanks
Probably my engine is Rotax 912 from 100 to 130 hp,
empty weight is calcolate in 370 / 400 kg
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 09:52:52 PM »

None of the P-40F/L had the enlarged vertical fin.  Only the early P-40K had that, those eventually going to the longer fuselage.
The P-40F had the original short fuselage inherited from the "E" but most had the longer fuselage like all of the "L".
xray4277

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 03:51:29 PM »

You're right - I looked back at my Carl Molesworth book, it was in the last batch of P-40Es that the enlarged tail fin appeared.

The two most important things to remember about flying...(1) number of landings should equal number of take-offs, and (2) if you run out of airspeed, altitude & ideas all at the same time, you've crashed...
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 01:26:02 AM »

That is true!  There are some photos that look like the P-40K but the number on the tail is for and "E".
The early K was essentially an E with an up-rated engine.
ENJOY

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 04:12:07 PM »

Hello everyone I'm looking for the internal paint codes of the various P 40 models do you know where they can be found?
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 10:14:25 AM »

Hello everyone I'm looking for the internal paint codes of the various P 40 models do you know where they can be found?

Unfortunately, I'm not too knowledgeable about those paint codes.  If you don't get a response here, I can recommend the forums of two other websites that I know have people who might have this information:  https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/plane-talking-hyperscale-s-aircraft-scale-model-di-f149674/ and https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/23-wwii/

Ignorance is bliss
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: