P-40 Warhawk Forums
April 18, 2024, 02:22:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: And another 85th FS P-40F started, this a 1/32 Hasegawa conversion  (Read 9278 times)
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 10:47:24 PM »

I've heard you can thin it down with lacquer thinner, might help get it in those gaps? I haven't tried it as I don't use lacquer thinner, the fumes do me in.
Are you referring to Tamiya putty?  If so, I've not tried to thin it.  However, I do have to thin Mr. Surfacer 500 with lacquer thinner, as it thickens up over time.

Ignorance is bliss
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2020, 11:08:11 AM »

With my pathetic scribing skills, if I was in charge of the transcontinental railroad it would turn out like this Shocked:

That being said, I applied a coat of primer, tried fixing the number of flaws, and then applied another primer coat. It's far from perfect with some detail being lost and a couple of areas that might need to be addressed, but aside from my feeble attempts at trying to scribe new panel lines or rescribe some that were lost in my puttying and sanding endeavor, the end result might be something that I can live with:

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2020, 03:45:06 AM »

Scribing lines through various materials (resin, putty, etc) is like sorcery.
It is very hard to get perfect unless it is all same material.  Scribing resin is just harder than styrene anyway.
So don't feel bad.  You are doing fine.
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 09:42:14 PM »

Finally got the paint on this thing.  I used the Real Colors by AK WW2 RAF Desert Colors, fading the Dark Earth with some white.  I'm impressed with Real Colors and they will likely be my go-to paint, at least for airbrushing, especially since Model Master is no longer being produced.  I think once the weathering is in place, especially the exhaust stains, any issues I had with installing the resin nose won't be as noticeable.

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 11:46:55 PM »

Looks good!  Can't wait to see her done!
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 05:54:38 PM »

Looking great so far  Smiley
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2023, 09:41:44 PM »

Hmm.  All my previous photos here seem to have disappeared Shocked  Hopefully these ones of the finally finished model will make it.

Edit:  They appear to have.  P-40F flown by Capt. John R. Anderson of the 85th Fighter Squadron/79th Fighter Group.  Finally got some custom decals made.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 09:43:34 PM by Mark Joyce » Logged

Ignorance is bliss
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2023, 01:27:48 AM »

Yes I can see them and they look great!
Awesome job!
May I ask what you used for your seat belts?
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2023, 10:25:26 PM »

Thanks Vince.  The seat belts are Eduard's Steel ones, included with its 1/32 Look set for the P-40F.

Interesting; I can see the old photos on my phone but not on my laptop for some reason.

Ignorance is bliss
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: