P-40 Warhawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 03:44:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Zealand P-40s  (Read 2027 times)
Mark Joyce

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2020, 10:49:28 PM »

Peter Mossong has an informative website about P-40s in New Zealand service, here:
http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/p40_1.html
One of the most famous, and most modeled, P-40s is "Gloria Lyons," the name being applied to three different P-40s (as well as one F4U-1A).  Peter has a great section on the history of "Gloria Lyons." 

Of interest is that the last P-40N named "Gloria Lyons" survived the war and, after being passed from one owner to another and one location to another, will now, finally, be put on display (where and in what condition, I'm uncertain).  Here's a link over on Britmodeller about it, and if one scrolls down will find some recently taken photographs of the airframe in its current condition, with interesting information especially about the colors:
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235080245-gloria-is-saved/

Ignorance is bliss
P-40 Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 09:39:54 AM »

Very cool, thanks!
Vince_M

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 03:21:11 AM »

Thanks!  Interesting photos for sure!

I see the OD on the top surface with the green dapples.
Where is the Foliage green?

I have a theory about that.  In some photos the NZ Kittyhawks look shiny.  I think they lacquered their planes for more speed.
Also, since the planes photographed almost black perhaps this is nothing more than clear coated OD from the factory?
Some of the older books say the RNZAF Kitties were done with RAF dark green uppers.
This is just confusing???
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: